Seriously thinking of adding pearl gourami

MMac

Hello.

I am seriously thinking of adding pearl gouramis to my 50 gal tank. Thanks to ProudPapa I know that I need at least 4. My biggest concern is aggression towards my littler fish (Ember Tetras) if/when they breed. So my questions are as follows.

1. How easily do these breed?
2. Can I keep just males or would this be an issue? Would it be better to have all females? I really am not looking forward to managing any babies.
3. I also have Oto cats and I have read that they might be aggressive toward them at breeding too, although I know they stay hidden really well. Is that the case?
4. Would I be better off just waiting until I can have a different tank set up for specific species? If so, what size tank and how many should I keep to make them the happiest (within reason, of course).

Thank you.

ProudPapa

1. I haven't seen any breeding behavior from mine, and I've had some of them for close to two years. I suspect it's because of the 8.2 pH water, but that's not based on anything other than guessing.
  2. You probably could keep all one sex, but I'd suggest mixing them; ideally with a roughly 2:1 M:F F:M ratio.
  3. I haven't seen any aggression from the pearls, but again, I haven't noticed any breeding activity.
  4. You could of course wait and put them in a species only tank, but I really don't think it's necessary. As to how many, I'd say as many as your budget and tank conditions allow.

MMac

1. I haven't seen any breeding behavior from mine, and I've had some of them for close to two years. I suspect it's because of the 8.2 pH water, but that's not based on anything other than guessing.
  2. You probably could keep all one sex, but I'd suggest mixing them; ideally with a roughly 2:1 M:F ratio.
  3. I haven't seen any aggression from the pearls, but again, I haven't noticed any breeding activity.
  4. You could of course wait and put them in a species only tank, but I really don't think it's necessary. As to how many, I'd say as many as your budget and tank conditions allow.
Thanks!

DoubleDutch

2. You probably could keep all one sex, but I'd suggest mixing them; ideally with a roughly 2:1 M:F ratio.
2M : 1F ?????

jinjerJOSH22

Hello,
1. How easily do these breed?
This isn't something you don't often hear about with Pearls in community settings I don't think a typical setup that would have at least a little bit of water movement etc.. would be suitable for Pearls to breed. So I'll say you will probably be ok here.
2. Can I keep just males or would this be an issue? Would it be better to have all females? I really am not looking forward to managing any babies.
Personally I think it's always good for a group dynamic to have a mix of genders with more females than males.
3. I also have Oto cats and I have read that they might be aggressive toward them at breeding too, although I know they stay hidden really well. Is that the case?
If you end up with a nest, then I would fully expect Pearl Gourami to be quite aggressive to anyone who would come near the nest however a 50 gallon is enough space that this shouldn't be too much of an issue. Heavy planting and/or large structure would help a lot.
4. Would I be better off just waiting until I can have a different tank set up for specific species? If so, what size tank and how many should I keep to make them the happiest (within reason, of course).
I mean as much as you would be better off keeping any species in a "species" setup. It's not necessary but if you wanted I would opt for a 50 gallon for a group of Pearls(7 or so) or a 20 long for Embers(as many as you like). Some people say a 10 gallon but I felt they weren't suitable for my 15 and I would say I'm quite lax on tank size :D .

Noroomforshoe

It is unlikely that they would breed without special accommodations prepared for them.
Pearls are one of the most peaceful gouramis, but they can still get territorial at times. I have kep 3 pairs, at a separate times, and it seemed like they were all males. The first two times, they were very passive to their tank mates and stayed together like best buds always. The last pair had a male that was territorial and I ended up selling him. I never heard of keeping them in large groups until I became a member of this site but I plan to do it if I got them again.

MMac

Hello,

This isn't something you don't often hear about with Pearls in community settings I don't think a typical setup that would have at least a little bit of water movement etc.. would be suitable for Pearls to breed. So I'll say you will probably be ok here.

Personally I think it's always good for a group dynamic to have a mix of genders with more females than males.

If you end up with a nest, then I would fully expect Pearl Gourami to be quite aggressive to anyone who would come near the nest however a 50 gallon is enough space that this shouldn't be too much of an issue. Heavy planting and/or large structure would help a lot.

I mean as much as you would be better off keeping any species in a "species" setup. It's not necessary but if you wanted I would opt for a 50 gallon for a group of Pearls(7 or so) or a 20 long for Embers(as many as you like). Some people say a 10 gallon but I felt they weren't suitable for my 15 and I would say I'm quite lax on tank size :D .
Me: Fantically searching where I could put my 20 gal long I just retired (to house my embers) in my house of 700sqft and hoping my husband will not think that I am a crazy fish lady. :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing: Great suggestion. Got everything I need to get this going...just need a cabinet to set the tank on. Off to look in my storage shed. Thanks for the detailed advise.

jinjerJOSH22

Me: Fantically searching where I could put my 20 gal long I just retired (to house my embers) in my house of 700sqft and hoping my husband will not think that I am a crazy fish lady. :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing: Great suggestion.
This is why you marry crazy fish partners :D You end up planning your yet to be built house together with the living room filled with large tanks. ;)

MMac

This is why you marry crazy fish partners :D You end up planning your yet to be built house together with the living room filled with large tanks. ;)
My hubby is a really good sport. We are getting ready to build a new house when things get better and he has said we can build a horse shoe tank that spans the entire length of our living room. He is also a big dreamer. But, what the heck, I will play along. He also just told me, "too, late" on the crazy fish lady thing. :emoji_laughing:

jinjerJOSH22

My hubby is a really good sport. We are getting ready to build a new house when things get better and he has said we can build a horse shoe tank that spans the entire length of our living room. He is also a big dreamer. But, what the heck, I will play along. He also just told me, "too, late" on the crazy fish lady thing. :emoji_laughing:
Well I guess that also works, as long as they know what they are getting into ;)

Me and my partner both knew what we were getting into since we actually met on this forum. We're now married with currently 7 aquariums, though the plan in the future is several very large ones. :D
I came across this thread Three months in - still loving my tank | Freshwater Aquarium Journals Forum | 516895
Is this the tank the Pearls will go in? Very nice, I like the length, long and shallow. Though how much flow is in the tank? It's important with Gourami to maintain as little as possible. Gourami aren't built to handle strong currents.

MMac

Well I guess that also works, as long as they know what they are getting into ;)

Me and my partner both knew what we were getting into since we actually met on this forum. We're now married with currently 7 aquariums, though the plan in the future is several very large ones. :D
I came across this thread Three months in - still loving my tank | Freshwater Aquarium Journals Forum | 516895
Is this the tank the Pearls will go in? Very nice, I like the length, long and shallow. Though how much flow is in the tank? It's important with Gourami to maintain as little as possible. Gourami aren't built to handle strong currents.
That is really cool that you met on this forum. Yes, this is the tank. It does have good flow for my corys to play in, which they do love. So, perhaps my desire needs to wait a bit. Although since that picture, I have replace the two smaller wave maker with one that is bigger but puts out a more flared flow than a straight on one with the setting I have it on. But still, there is some pretty good flow. It sure disperses my c02 good.

Attachments

• tank 1_27_22.jpg
    tank 1_27_22.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 9

jinjerJOSH22

So, perhaps my desire needs to wait a bit. Although since that picture, I have replace the two smaller wave maker with one that is bigger but puts out a more flared flow than a straight on one with the setting I have it on. But still, there is some pretty good flow. It sure disperses my c02 good.
That's a shame, though I'm sure one day you will have a setup for Pearls. ;)

Flow can be very bad for Gourami, I accidentally setup a secondhand tank using a filter that came with it not thinking about the fact it had a powerhead.
I woke up the next day, with a dead Gourami against the filter and my two Pearls "drunkenly" swimming. I realized straight away what it was. Stupid mistake on my part but a good hard lesson.

MMac

That's a shame, though I'm sure one day you will have a setup for Pearls. ;)

Flow can be very bad for Gourami, I accidentally setup a secondhand tank using a filter that came with it not thinking about the fact it had a powerhead.
I woke up the next day, with a dead Gourami against the filter and my two Pearls "drunkenly" swimming. I realized straight away what it was. Stupid mistake on my part but a good hard lesson.
Thanks for all your information; you have been very helpful. :) I will wait for a great deal. In the meantime, I will enjoy what I have! Still may move my embers only and see if they will lose some of their timidness.

Also, when I get ready to do this, what filter do you use to keep flow down?

jinjerJOSH22

Still may move my embers only and see if they will lose some of their timidness.
How many do you have?
Also, when I get ready to do this, what filter do you use to keep flow down?
I'm a big fan of sponge filters. You could use HOBs or Canister filters but when doing so you will need to either attach a sponge to the outlets or direct them in a way that dissipates the flow.
Most of our tank are setup as Walstad, a method where effectively the plants act as filtration though I do like running a sponge alongside them.

MMac

How many do you have?
I currently have 12 embers. They are much better today than when I had 6. I had 15, but I seem to loose one or two every 4-5 months. I originally had 12 that went down to 6. Then I added more, but have lost a couple since then. Funny thing is I seldom find the bodies.

DoubleDutch

Only the livingroom?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
el337
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
CraniumRex