Seriously frustrated

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So my very first betta boy Prince (my avatar picture) is having a little trouble.

Now, I've had him over a year and I know he wasn't a baby when I got him. He got this white patch on the top of his head. It wasn't raised, it was just like the scales turned white. It was the oddest thing... Looked like he was getting gray hair (I know he's getting to be an old man, but who knew bettas could go gray!?) He's had this for a while now.

I searched around and figured that it may be fungus. So I treated with that organic Rid Fungus stuff. Well, that didn't work. I'm in the process of trying one more Fungus treatment but I'm starting to really think that's not it.

It's starting to look more and more like a tumor. It's starting to get raised up and push out the scales a little.

Ugh! If it is a tumor this will be my second boy in 4 months! And he's my very first boy, too.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be other than a weird tumor?

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures at the moment. Not only is he a big grump who hates the camera, he's at my parent's house keeping my mom company during the week while I'm at school. I'll be home Friday to attempt to get pictures.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm really sorry Prince isn't feeling well.
I was reading an article recently about fungus and bacterial infections. I've looked and can't find it right now. It said that some problems that look like fungus are actually bacterial infections.
That fungus will have a distinct fuzzy look.
Your might want to try something that would treat both.
I hope it's not a tumor.

Good luck, I hope he's feeling better soon. I know how we worry about our Betta babies.

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's not fuzzy... It's just like a patch of scales on the top of his head turned white. Now they're protruding a little like a tumor would under the scales...

I hope it's not a tumor either! Thanks Lucy! I'll try a combo med.

bettafish2816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
could you post a bigger pic? it's a little hard to see in your avatar.

good luck with your boy, i'm sorry he's sick

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not at home. I'll get pics this weekend!

shellbell4ever

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
good luck with your boy!I hope he starts feeling better soon as for a tumor I really cant say...But i hope not for both your sakes!

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could it be swelling from an infection? Do fish swell like that?
Just trying to toss ideas around
Well, there's no visible redness or any damage to his scales. It's just one area of scales that turned white and then are starting to expand...

Maybe an internal infection?

I'm going to get some bacterial/fungal combo stuff to start him on this weekend.

Oh, another question for everyone! He has two ottos in his tank with him. I should probably remove them, shouldn't I?

I figured the fungus stuff couldn't hurt them much because it's organic and not harsh at all but if it's a bacterial med...

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had the same sort of thing only the mystery growths were red and kind of scabby. The real question is did he have the white spot as a symptom or just a coincience. ?

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had the same sort of thing only the mystery growths were red and kind of scabby. The real question is did he have the white spot as a symptom or just a coincience. ?
What was the outcome of your fish's mystery growths?

The white is the weirdest thing... It's just like the scales lost pigment or something.

The growth is only on the white part for now, so I'm going to guess they have something to do with each other. Who knows, though.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It might be something like pop-eye if it's near the eyes, but I really couldn't say on that until we see a pic. That's kind of a long shot. I would probably remove the otos and treat with Triple Sulfa and garlic guard since a bacterial infection is likely and I've found Triple Sulfa to be handled well by Bettas.

Aries

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fungus can be a pain in the butt to cure sometimes. Try some maracyn next and see if it helps. Maracyn helps a wide array of things. You could do a combo of maracyn 1 and 2. I would also add a bit of salt. I have cured fungus with just salt alone. Beware of the herbal all natural stuff as it tends not to work. Watch for the raised scales other places because it could lead to dropsy (as with many things) which you definitely dont want.

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It might be something like pop-eye if it's near the eyes, but I really couldn't say on that until we see a pic. That's kind of a long shot. I would probably remove the otos and treat with Triple Sulfa and garlic guard since a bacterial infection is likely and I've found Triple Sulfa to be handled well by Bettas.
I have triple sulfa and garlic guard. (From my stockpile... haha) I was thinking that was the way I'd go. It's not really by his eye... I really need to get a picture. I've seen pop eye, and I'm almost sure it's not it. It kind of looks like it's where you'd put a hat, as strange as that sounds. Thanks for the info! Makes me feel better about putting the meds in. I hate over-medicating...

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fungus can be a pain in the butt to cure sometimes. Try some maracyn next and see if it helps. Maracyn helps a wide array of things. You could do a combo of maracyn 1 and 2. I would also add a bit of salt. I have cured fungus with just salt alone. Beware of the herbal all natural stuff as it tends not to work. Watch for the raised scales other places because it could lead to dropsy (as with many things) which you definitely dont want.
I've always been pretty leery of salt. I know people say it works but I donno... I have a weird feeling about salt in fresh water. Maybe I'm nuts.

I've had good experiences with the herbal stuff in the past, although not for fungus. I used it for an ich outbreak once... Higher temps alone were just not working for me.

Dropsy = not fun. I've had a couple of fish suffer from it in the past. I think that's got to be one of the worst things I've seen when it comes to fishkeeping. I'm definitely up on dropsy, and I've got my mom watching him pretty closely when I'm not home. (I didn't want to move him back to school with me while he's sick. I figured it'd be too much stress.)

Thanks for the input! I'll have to look into maracyn. I've never used it before. I've always used tri or triple sulfa.

Aries

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've always been pretty leery of salt. I know people say it works but I donno... I have a weird feeling about salt in fresh water. Maybe I'm nuts.

I've had good experiences with the herbal stuff in the past, although not for fungus. I used it for an ich outbreak once... Higher temps alone were just not working for me.

Dropsy = not fun. I've had a couple of fish suffer from it in the past. I think that's got to be one of the worst things I've seen when it comes to fishkeeping. I'm definitely up on dropsy, and I've got my mom watching him pretty closely when I'm not home. (I didn't want to move him back to school with me while he's sick. I figured it'd be too much stress.)

Thanks for the input! I'll have to look into maracyn. I've never used it before. I've always used tri or triple sulfa.

I never seem to have luck with tetracycline and the maracyn is great. I keep it in my first aid for the fish. It is great for betta tanks but in a big tank it can kill a lot of the bacteria. Really, add a little salt slowly. Almost all hobbyist agree that salt is okay during treatment for something. I'm not advocating you leave it in all the time. But it will help his slime coat to build up and add electrolytes. This is why lots of fish stores keep salt in their tanks. It helps keep down disease while their there becuase as we know their not in the best situation while waiting to be purchased. Like I say, it could cure it on it's own. People say that catfish can't handle salt but it is a myth. They can't handle it long term but in the short term it wont hurt. As long as it is added slowly and I know this from experience and have done it many times. Salt is way less harsh than any medication is. The stuff people use to cure ick is a carcinogen that can't be used around pregnant woman becuase it can cause fetal defects. The meds can cause way more damage than the salt but have to be used to cure ailments. Just like in humans. Be extra careful with the herbal stuff with bettas as a lot of it can affect the labyrinth organ.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tetra-cycline hasn't caused and problems for me yet. Usually I do the clean water and stress coat treatment but tetra-cycline covers a whole spectrum of issues. Is Maracyn the one that turns the water blue?

Aries

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tetra-cycline hasn't caused and problems for me yet. Usually I do the clean water and stress coat treatment but tetra-cycline covers a whole spectrum of issues. Is Maracyn the one that turns the water blue?

no maracyn will tinge the water slightly but not nearly as bad as tetracillin. I haven't had a problem with tetracillin it just never cures the things I try to use it for. I have yet to see it cure fin rot when the maracyn usually clears it right up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom