Seraph

Discussion in 'Birds' started by soltarianknight, Dec 7, 2012.

1. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

This last summer I did some work with the local SPCA and Bird Rescue in newyork. At a farm festival my family runs we had a lady who brought rabbits and chicks for everyone to "pet". As it turns out she was simply selling all the animals without proper care instructions and leaving them out all day in deplorable condition. After her rooster collapsed the SPCA had her sign over her animals. The bird rescue took the worst of them and left one young bird with me. I ended up homing the little guy to my aunt who has a farm and a small producing flock(also has a meat production flock every summer). He got 3 months of separate QT from the other birds of course. The little guy is quite the bird though. From day one he has had 0 fear of people, 0 aversion to them and a total fear of other chickens. Every time we would open his pen he would fly up into your arms and every time we let him out into the yard he would fly up into your lap while we sat in chairs. He is literally a Lap-Bird. Loves petting and just snoozing on peoples laps. Terrified of the other birds(no reason either, they like him well enough.)

Without further adue, I give you my little man, Seraph.
    [​IMG]
    Sitting in a lap of course. He can fly too, very well. However, he never goes anywhere but the lap. Quite the looker too. Can't wait to see him in the summer.

2. f

fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Ha Ha!! Love it! We use to have a chicken that my daughters called brownsugar. He would let the girls tote him anywhere while his head was laying on their shoulder! He was something else. :)

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I miss my Polish chickens... that's not a Rhode Island Red is it?

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

He's really pretty! Chickens are smarter than you think they are :)
    Carol

5. M0T0

M0T0 Valued Member Member

Wow he is purty. I want him!!

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful! So glad you rescued him! :)

Ken

7. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Thanks everyone. The current consensus on him is out. Some people think he is an EE but tbh, he just doesnt seem like it. The only way to truly ID an EE is by egg color, so with males it can be hard unless you know what they were bred from. We could cross him to a Rhode Island and see what the hens of that clutch throw but it really isn't possible since he is terrified of chickens. Besides, it isn't worth it. I am more savy to the other opinion, that he is a mix of mix's. Definitely has some leghorn in him and maybe some black breast.

8. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

How cute! I used to have a Mexican Fighter (got him as a chick, so there wasn't anyway of knowing), named Cornflake :) They look really similar, almost like twins, only Cornflake was tiny LOL

9. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Corn Flake was probably a bit thinner/taller too. mex's are. Most are mix breeds themselves. There is no standard for that breed tbh.

10. Akari_32

No, he was pretty proportionate. He was about 8 inches tall, and all 'tude LOL Wish I had some pic of him, but they are all on moms old Dell, that died forever ago :/ He love his Silki girlfriend, Fluffy :p

11. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Really? Fighters normally have this body shape

They are small birds, tall refers to how they carry themselves. Seraph is short and fat with oversized wings.

12. Akari_32

He looked similar to this guy, only a bit smaller, and with a little comb and waddle, and a downy tail, and his body was grey. Quite a few people referred to him a fighter. I'm sure there's more than one type. Maybe a regional thing?

13. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

There is a regional difference, but fighters tend to be a tall bird(stands taller then it is long) and have longer legs. Thinner too. Otherwise they wouldn't do well in fights. Seraph would be TERRIBLE. short fat birdy XD.

14. Akari_32

His feathers were a good 3-4 inches long on his body, so for all I know he could have been proportionally tall lol I've seen birds that looked just like on those Animal Planet cop shows :;nin2 We'll never know lol He knew all about how to use his spurs though! He would attack my feet every day when I went out to feed them and get Fluffy's eggs. I finally started putting my foot up, and he eventually decided he didn't like bounding off the bottom of my shoe XD He would sit up onthe fence and glare at me after that :;laughing Sounds like Cornflake could've tanken Seraph any day XD

We used to have a fat chicken. Her name was Peeps :p I think, because we never got any eggs out of her, she died of an egg blockage. Or an artery blockage... I swear that crazy hen weighed like 10 pounds. She litterally lived next to the food bowl. Rarely ever saw her out of the dog house they had. Strange lazy chicken....

15. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

lol, despurring Akari, must i teach you how? I have had polish's that loved their spurs(long feathered birds often mistaken as fighters...)

16. Akari_32

Nah. He only ever did it to me. Maybe because I was the only one who went out and bothered Fluffy for her eggs. He did attack my step dads face one time though, for making chicken on the grill..... Best day on my life, right there XD

Ooh, ooh! This one looks just like him, only this one doesn't look to have spurs. I'm sure he was a mix, though.

polishes are cute! Silly little fro's XD

17. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

XD cute little show bird. Polishes are not cute, THEY ARE EVIL. Harley was a ankle terror.
    Looked like this   he killed a raccoon.

18. Akari_32

Hey, it's Cornflake minus the fro XD Ankels seem to be a favorite target for chickens LOL

19. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

"Quick we'll go for the ankles and then the throat"

20. Bumblebat

Bumblebat Well Known Member Member

I've never owned chickens, but I've always loved them. What are the ones with the big fluffy feet called?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice