Sera snail trap review

cheesepuff

Once again I have made a video review of a product that I have purchased. This one happens to be a snail trap to try and collect those pesky pest snails that may be building up inside of your tank. Below is a link to the YouTube video where you can watch the review.

If you cannot watch the video here are the cliff notes.

1) it's a bit pricey, but well constructed

2) it does attract snails of all kinds into the trap, but will only cage the largest pests.

3) fish and shrimp can get stuck in the trap as well

4) most snails can make it back out of the trap with ease, making the product ineffective.

I can not recommend this product.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

CindiL

Thanks for that. I was thinking of buying one. I need to scale my numbers back. Though they are easy to remove off of my marimo covered driftwood which they seem to love.

I think Junne had a way of putting zucchinI in a glass jar and they wouldn't leave once they went in??

Junne

CindiL said:
Thanks for that. I was thinking of buying one. I need to scale my numbers back. Though they are easy to remove off of my marimo covered driftwood which they seem to love.

I think Junne had a way of putting zucchinI in a glass jar and they wouldn't leave once they went in??
I use a plastic water bottle and punch a small hole ( hole puncher works ) in the lid. Fish usually can't get in and I stuff it full of algae wafers and other foods snails love - they usually find it within a day and when the bottle is full, I dump the entire thing.

snail trap.jpg

Sorry, you can't see the lid on this one because I took it off - I wanted the snails to get used to where the food was at before putting it on since the opening was so small.

Its not foolproof but doesn't cost anything to set up so a plus

CindiL

It doesn't pollute the water? (having all the algae wafers in there?)

Junne

CindiL said:
It doesn't pollute the water? (having all the algae wafers in there?)
No it does not. The wafers never leave the bottle ( I have it tilted up slightly at a angle ) and the snails usually have it finished in a day or so )

Each time I did this, I got about 50 snails. It was a long process but with this tank, I dare not let Assassins in since I have other NON pest snails

cheesepuff

Junne said:
No it does not. The wafers never leave the bottle ( I have it tilted up slightly at a angle ) and the snails usually have it finished in a day or so )

Each time I did this, I got about 50 snails. It was a long process but with this tank, I dare not let Assassins in since I have other NON pest snails
You should totally make a video tutorial on how to make a snail trap. I'm sure everyone here on the forum would be very grateful for that. I know I would!

Junne

cheesepuff said:
You should totally make a video tutorial on how to make a snail trap. I'm sure everyone here on the forum would be very grateful for that. I know I would!

Thank you but there really isn't anything to video - just get an empty bottle and punch a hole in the cap. That's it! The picture should be self explanatory.

cheesepuff

Just make one. Making a video to compare this idea vs the trap in this review

Latest threads

Top Bottom