Question Sera san... worth the money?

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Has anyone tried this stuff? I was in my LFS last week and commented to the girl on how good the colour of their Congo tetras are and she said they feed Sera San (sure enough, they had an industrial size vat in the corner). I checked it out and it is about twice as much as my normal flake. I'll pay it if it is worth it. After all, how often do you actually buy flake? Has anyone here tried it? A lot of the brands people recommend on here aren't available in my neck of the woods so I am trying to find something good I can get.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning claudicles,

I haven't heard of Sera San myself. Let's see what other responses you receive. I have seen Omega One products highly recommended.

Ken

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey claudicles,
Why not ask the LFS for a handful out of their tub?
You might find they'll give you a sample (either for free, or small price)

I know a number of LFS in Melbourne that will often offer me a sample of some of the more expensive products. They know that I will always go back to them, and give them feedback, both positive and negative, and if I liked it, I'll buy it from them (at least first time round, then I'll find it online cheaper )

End of the day, it's in their interests to have people trying and buying and recommending products.

Worth asking the question anyway ???

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good idea Ryan. I'll try that.

Ken, it is a German brand and there is a US website. Doesn't mean a lot of course but I figured there a few people at least from continental Europe here.

Omega one I haven't seen here. I could buy it online of course but I guess I like to patronise local business if possible. Aqua one, Tetra and Wardleys as well as Hikari are all readily available, mostly in the chain stores. The other brand this small shop carries is Nutrafin which seems to get pretty good reviews too. I should have asked the girl how they chose the one they use. Next time.

Liz

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sera San is pretty good stuff. I used to use it when I only had a couple of tanks & wasn't buying so much food. In all honesty though I think a mix of Wardley Gourmet Tropical Blend & Wardley Colour Enhancing Flake is just as good. The best stuff IMO is New Life Spectrum pellets. I've never had anything refuse them & have always had excellent colours from fish being fed them. Makes the Sera stuff look cheap though.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One of the local places also has New Life Spectrum. I might give that a go. I notice their website pitches it as a total food, in contrast to the popular wisdom that variety is necessary for a healthy fish - the fish parallel of super premium dog foods. I have to admit I'd never go back to supermarket bands of dog foods after feeding a super premium. It saves a lot of money on vet bills with skin problems for my 3 labs. The same rationale should hold for fish but I love to watch the feeding fenzy blood worms bring on. I guess it makes me feel I am really caring for my fish by giving them a variety of different things

It just occured to me there is a parrallel - packet cakes usually require you to add an egg. They could easily put powdered egg in but people like to feel that they are really cooking by adding that egg. Feeding just one food type doesn't really seem like fish keeping. It is too simple.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom