Septicemia In My Betta Fish, Treated, No Improvement. ):

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by FishFandom, Jul 28, 2017.

1. FishFandom

FishFandomValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +185
    Experience:
    4 years
    My betta fish has a blood infection called bacterial septicemia, and I have treated him with medications, done several water changes and nothing has helped, it's just gotten worse and now he is fin nipping. I don't know what to do now. Everything has gone downhill. ): He can't swim right. He stays at the surface all day and tries not to even move. He's pale, clamped fins and skinny. I just feel so bad since he is so miserable. Here's a picture:
    IMG_0569.

2. jenag145

jenag145Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +31
    How do you know if he has septicemia?

3. OP
    OP
    FishFandom

Ratings:
    +185
    Experience:
    4 years
    Plenty or reasarch, people on here have said that, and he has blood streaks on his body and fins, just like the symptoms, and he is sick and can't swim right, so he does have it.

4. jenag145

jenag145Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +31
    Oh I'm sorry sweetie I don't know much about it.

5. Discusluv

DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,788
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What meds did you use? How long?
    I would also recommend doing daily 25-50% water changes in his tank. This will help him much more than any drug- not saying the medication is not also vital with septicemia- but the freshwater will help him regain his immunity to fight off illness.

6. OP
    OP
    FishFandom

Ratings:
    +185
    Experience:
    4 years
    I use API Furan-2. I will try more water changes aswell.

7. Discusluv

Ratings:
    +2,788
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    How many days treating with Furan2?

8. OP
    OP
    FishFandom

Ratings:
    +185
    Experience:
    4 years
    I did the full dose, which was 4 or 5 days. He didn't improve at all, but the strange thing is he still happily eats.

9. Discusluv

Ratings:
    +2,788
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sometimes nitrafurizone is enough to treat septicemia, but most of the time it is not.
    I would suggest, at this point, treating with either kanamycin sulfate or triple sulfa to give a broader spectrum medication against the bacteria.
    It is very good sign that he is still eating. You can find kanamycin in Seachem Kanaplex and Triple Sulfa is commonly found at most Petsmarts and Petco's.
    It is very important to do the 25-50% water change before each dose, to get as much organics out of the water as possible and to aid the fish in rebuilding its immunity.

10. OP
    OP
    FishFandom

Ratings:
    +185
    Experience:
    4 years
    You know, I'm not going to buy more meds if I already have one that should be working :/

11. Discusluv

Ratings:
    +2,788
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Then what is your question? What would you like help with?

12. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The problem here is you bought nitrafurizone which isn't as effective/strong as kanamycin.

What is your question if your not willing to buy more meds? Where you looking for answers such as euthanize? He isn't in a situation just yet to end it all , with some large daily water changes and some seachem kanaplex your betta should make a big improvement. If your tired of watching your betta suffer then get the meds needed in order to help him/her out.

13. OP
    OP
    FishFandom

Ratings:
    +185
    Experience:
    4 years
    Well if I'm not getting any more meds, should I just let him go, or wait?

14. Oceanid

OceanidValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    3 years
    If I can just chime in here. I wouldn't recommend euthanasia for your betta as I dont think he's at that point. If you don't want to buy any more medication that's fine, that's your choice. To be honest I wouldn't go out and buy more medication anyways just yet, especially something as strong and powerful as kanamycin. I'm sure I'll get disagreed with, but In my opinion he is way too weak to take anything else, at this point the medication is more likely to kill him than the septicemia. For the next few days I'd do daily 75% water changes and offer a high quality food. After a few days he will probably be recovered enough to take another full round of medication and not suffer extreme consequences. I hope this helps, he is gorg BTW.

15. OP
    OP
    FishFandom

Ratings:
    +185
    Experience:
    4 years
    Thanks. I agree with you, especially a 11$ product that I spent my money on trying to cure him, I'm not taking chances for any more meds. I will stick to your method, and here's a picture of him before he got sick ): IMG_0368.IMG_0369.

16. Discusluv

Ratings:
    +2,788
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Entirely disagree, actually. When fish get septicemia, the given treatment that is generally prescribed is the combination of nitrafurizone/kanamycin. Not one or the other. They work synergisticly. It is not "extreme" in its application to this case.
    To assume that the kanamycin will have more likelihood to "kill" the fish than the septicemia itself is, in fact, the "extreme" opinion.
    Good food and daily water changes are for fin rot, not septicemia.

17. OP
    OP
    FishFandom

Ratings:
    +185
    Experience:
    4 years
    I'm not planning on daily, but you said to do frequent water changes, didn't you?

18. Discusluv

Ratings:
    +2,788
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I did, with medication. Both vital.

19. Oceanid

OceanidValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    3 years
    That's fair to say. I personally don't like to dose fish back to back on medications, many aquaurists have no issue with it however. I just find it can have ill effects on the fish depending on a number of factors. Good food and daily water changes are something I recommend to almost anybody as it can boost the fishes natural immunity and at the very least provide them with an ammonia free environment. Doing this will definitely not cure the fish of septicemia by any means, but it can aid in treatment. I also tried to take into consideration the fact that the OP is not willing to buy any more medications than the ones they already have. With this fact in mind the route i suggested to take is rest the fish for a few days, try and get its immunity back up to certain level then try another round of medication.

20. tunafax

tunafaxWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +804
    Not only do I strongly disagree, I'd take it up a notch and say you're spreading misinformation. OP doesn't want to spend money on meds - which is fine - but since this forum is very searchable and if someone comes to this thread who wants to spend money to cure the fish might read your post and be scared away from proper treatment.

Kana by itself is the perscribed medication for septesemia, which means blood poisoning. The blood in that fish is a toxic playground for all sorts of action. Kana is a strong antibiotic that will take care of the symptoms that are killing the fish, which en masse is just a whole collection of assorted general bacteria. Furan will take care of the hard to kill gram positive and negative bacteria that is resistant to kana.

What happened here is that furan by itself wasn't strong enough to take care of all the hard to kill ones, while the general septicemia bacteria are still reigning free. That's why both are recommended.

The fish is not too sick to take a med that should be taken together with original treatment. The fish is too sick because its not getting treatment.

@op - don't euthanize before you at least do a second round of meds. If the fish begins to waste away, you may try just about everything you currently have in the off chance that will help, but without the second component of the med... Im not sure what you want us to do since I don't understand your question.