Sepperated females keep giving birth!!!

1. Hazzy Member Member

I have 2 adult female platies in a 15 gallon aquarium. I bought 2 females so they would not breed. I knew it was likely they were pregnant from the fish store, but how long will this keep going on for? Ive had them for about 4 months and during that time they have given birth to 6 loads of fry (combined). From the first batch 5 survived and are big enough to not be eaten by the adults and all appear to be female. The second batch I saved 17 fry and put them in a breeders net. They are about 2 1/2 months old now. I really don't like the fact that all these fish are being born into a nightmare tank where you inevitably get eaten. How long is this likely to last? both adults are 100% female as they have a fan shaped fin? This is exactly what I didn't want to happen and was the reason keeping me away from livebearers :'( Not sure if this makes any difference but they are fully gold they also share the tank with 6 neon tetras.

So basically when are they going to stop having babies? :/

2. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Can you post pics of both females? Sometimes an odd male can indeed look female. Its confusing at first and hard to spot. IME i'm not sure if platies can store uh... male fish genetic material. I presume they cannot?...

Oh. Nope they can! They can store the genetic material from a male after mating for up to 3 months or have 3-5 batches with one set of genetic material. Looks like your girlies are going to stop birthing after a few more batches unfortunately. Are you able to hold on to such an amount of fry? If not, try find a fish shop that can take them. Hope this helps!

3. Hazzy Member Member

I don't have room for the fry :( I will indeed be giving them away and I'm hoping that my LFS will take them. Only problem is that I am going away in 3 weeks time and my youngest platies I saved aren't very big and may still get eaten by adults. So realistically I want to shift all the fry before I go. Thanks for the reply and I am unable to send pictures right now but both have been pregnant with a pink belly so I am pretty sure they are girls.

4. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Welp, if they keep giving fry and they have stored genetic material from a male then it looks like they are defo females. If the fry are bigger than the moms mouth, then they will not be eaten. The rule of thumb is if it fits in the fish's mouth, the fish will try eating it so if the fry are big enough, you can add them all to the main tank before going away I guess ^_^

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They can store sperm for longer than 3 months. I'd rehome your females and get only males.

6. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

Poeciliids can store spermatophores for a year or more. If you want livebearers that stop after each spawn, you have to get Goodeids.

7. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I was thinking that it was at least 6 months or so if not somewhat longer. Glad to know it can be up to a year. Alison:;hi1

8. Hazzy Member Member

A year! that's ages! :( I was originally going to get males but my lfs said they would just fight with each other... I do like my platies and don't really want to return them :/ I guess I'm just going to have to let nature take its course although fry seem to survive even without being captured in a fry net.