Seperating platy

1. agw09 Initiate Member

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question :)

My platy has had babies again.....i have 3 platy females and one male. My other 2 platy females are pregnant so i am expecting lots more babies.

I have 1 5 week old fry and 4 2 week old fry. My mum is taking a few and i am keeping the rest and making a female only tank and a male only tank. Any more fry will be going to my LFS.

I had 2 males before but had to get rid of one because he was agressive to one of the females and chased the other male. Are they only agressive if there are females around or can the live peacefully together?

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

All male platies should be able to live together peaceably. I have all males in one of my tanks and I have no problems. I had the same problem as you, too many fry I did not know what to do with. I have male platies in one tank and female in another.

3. Lupinus Member Member

So long as no females are present and they have plenty of room, they shouldn't bother each other.

What size tank will the males be going in? If they get crowded, that might provoke some aggression. The three in my ten gallon don't fight, but do chase each other a bit here and there. So as the number increases, the possibility of one getting cranky increases.

Keep in mind the females don't need to breed to keep having babies. Once they mate they can stay pregnant and have new rounds of babies for quite some time...so it'll be awhile before you no longer have babies to contend with.

4. agw09 Initiate Member

The 2nd tank would be in a 10 gallon.
    I'm giving my mum the female fry and i'm taking the males so JR my current male would have some friends. I'd have to wait and sex the fry to see how many i'd have.
    If i have more males i could put the males in the 15G and the females (4) in the 10G if that'd work better.
    The 5 week old appears female....i have read tho that you can't sex them till they are older? I'd be keeping her/him because she's/he's my first ever fry and i'm quite attached :)

So in conclusion....4 females (if fry is female) and 1-4 males :)

Any other fry the current females have will be going to the LFS as i cant house/dont want more.
    Just got to make sure the fry dont impregnate each other now :s
    The 10G will have lots of plants and a cave for hiding if this helps.