Seperate cleaning sponges for each tank?

Willow84

Hi All,
I saw somewhere on YouTube someone suggesting having seperate algae magnets, cleaning sponges, scrapers, etc for each tank. Now I only have 2 tanks so will do this if others agree that this lessens risk of cross-contamination. What do you think? But if fish stores did this, oh my! what an expense!

Betta'sAnonymous

I try to have seperate gear for each tank. Doesn't always work out that way, but i try! Seperate vacs, nets, algae scrubbers, etc.

I even have a bucket n stuff marked with red tape to be used only on quarantine/hospital tank.

LanceDog

I don't have seperate stuff...but I should since I have 12 tanks

Dunk2

LanceDog said:
I don't have seperate stuff...but I should since I have 12 tanks
I couldn’t keep track of 12 tanks, let alone separate stuff for 12 tanks.

StarGirl

I use the same stuff in both tanks.

Betta'sAnonymous

I can only do it because most of the time my brain is hyper-organized, as well as most of my stuff. People are scared to touch my toolbox-afraid i will throw a wrench(i won't, just a hammer).

JeremyW

Well it definitely lessens the risk for cross-contamination. If nothing is crossing between tanks, then nothing can cross-contaminate.

But unless there is something specific in one of your tanks that you want to contain, or you have a history of disease problems, or you have some very expensive or rare fish, then I think duplicating all your gear is unnecessary.

Its a judgement call.

pagoda

I have a complete set of cleaning accessories for each of my 4 (soon to be 5) aquariums, even change the surgical gloves that I use tween each aquarium. You can never be too careful especially since fish and other aquatic animals are not as hardy as they were years ago thanks to overbreeding etc so picking up bugs and illness is much easier than it used to be

So every aquarium has its own set of tools and they go into the dishwasher...without detergent...on the short boil wash which sterilises them ready for the next week's maintenance session.

Dennis57

I use the same in all my tanks

MacZ

If you breed and have to separate regularly to growout tanks and "sale"-tanks while having other fish coming in regularly having separate equipment is important.
But if you only have 2-3 tanks, no breeding activity and buy new fish only once a year or so, which you also don't quarantine... my, then one set is absolutely fine.

Latest threads

Top Bottom