Separating male bettas time!

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Where the Earth moves but the traffic doesn't! Cal
Experience
More than 10 years
My babies are getting huge and along with their size they are getting HUGE attitudes! It is so obvious who the males are (and there are a LOT) I am going to work on jarring them this weekend.....I was hoping I could put it off a little longer but I don't want to damage their fins......

Here are some photos of the little brats..

And some new shots of the porkers lol

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
omg you have some handsome buggers...and alllll of them need jenny craig as most of your bettas have hahahhaah..too funny..you spoil them rotten!!!!!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow!! How did they get so big so fast?

They're absolutely gorgeous!
Good job.

OP
Martinismommy

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They started growing like weeds when I moved all 4 spawns into the 25 gallon tank....I have to admit though that they don't miss a meal lol.....I have such a strong bond with all of these kids....All of my kids in CA are getting one for Christmas!

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Karen... little brats! too funny..... Wow they sure are pretty and getting so big! How can you tell the males? and I was wondering what kind of Betta they are? The males do not have the tell tale long fins that I recognize males with. I would never be able to tell who is who from the photos.
I love the photos... its nice to see the different colored bettas together in each shot. I can see the look of aggression on some of them tho.
Now the real work begins... allllllll those containers! ugggh.... You certainly have your work cut out for you now. lol
Best of luck to you and your babies.

OP
Martinismommy

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here is my spawn log on these kids.....My Barney spawn (red Crowntail/Dragon lady ended up being a midnight snack for Daddy....I am taking a break now until after the 1st of the year.....This has been a tremendous amount of work but it has tuned out to be a "Labor of Love"

capekate said:
HI Karen... little brats! too funny..... Wow they sure are pretty and getting so big! How can you tell the males? and I was wondering what kind of Betta they are? The males do not have the tell tale long fins that I recognize males with. I would never be able to tell who is who from the photos.
I love the photos... its nice to see the different colored bettas together in each shot. I can see the look of aggression on some of them tho.
Now the real work begins... allllllll those containers! ugggh.... You certainly have your work cut out for you now. lol
Best of luck to you and your babies.
These kids are all rosetail halmoon or halfmoon/Crowntail crosses....They are only 9 weeks old and younger that is why the tails aren't long yet....And yes, the real work is about to begin......YIKES lol

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Martinismommy said:
These kids are all rosetail halmoon or halfmoon/Crowntail crosses....They are only 9 weeks old and younger that is why the tails aren't long yet....And yes, the real work is about to begin......YIKES lol
Thanks...
well if they are this beautiful now as babies.. I can only imagine how gorgeous those halfmoon and crowntail cross is going to be. I look forward to those photos! ;D

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Wow Karen some looks like the bf parents so much. That is awesome!! Could get a vibe of them when they were young to guess what they were going to be sex wise? I am being trying to guess by actions and attitude. There is one I am betting is a female, she acts just like her momma Gracie.
Make me even more anxious to see what my betta babies will be like.

BettasfortheBabe

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They are SO CUTE - I can't help but hope I have just as much luck with our spawn!
I never imagined that fish would have such personalities

OP
Martinismommy

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Allie...I just started noticing the difference in the boys this week...It is sooooo obvious...They puff and flare at each other...The bad part is that they only do it when I'm in front of the tank! I went out of the room and watch them...They all did their own thing...The minute I pulled up in my wheel chair they started in...Do you think I've ruined them already? lol

I agree, there are several that look like clones of the parents...I already have my favorite picked out...He has the coloring of his Mommy but has the perfect butterfly pattern on a pink/lavender body...Quite stunning actually...If he turns out I plan on showing him...

Pandora, what has your experience been with missing ventrals? I have a few that are missing one or both...Can I place them in pet homes are should they be culled?

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Martinismommy said:
Allie...I just started noticing the difference in the boys this week...It is sooooo obvious...They puff and flare at each other...The bad part is that they only do it when I'm in front of the tank! I went out of the room and watch them...They all did their own thing...The minute I pulled up in my wheel chair they started in...Do you think I've ruined them already? lol

I agree, there are several that look like clones of the parents...I already have my favorite picked out...He has the coloring of his Mommy but has the perfect butterfly pattern on a pink/lavender body...Quite stunning actually...If he turns out I plan on showing him...

Pandora, what has your experience been with missing ventrals? I have a few that are missing one or both...Can I place them in pet homes are should they be culled?
Oh lord they are spoiled already LOL. Yeah even those they are still tiny I can see with the 4 big ones that they are the aggressive ones...they fight for the same bbs. The one I am betting is female tends to go off on "her" own all the time. It's cute how they get in your face like big betta too.

Pandora

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lol, they're probably thinking 'mom's here to feed us!' and getting ready to battle it out for the food.

I've actually never *knock on wood* had missing ventrals. From what I've heard from other breeders, though, it doesn't affect their quality of life in any way, and doesn't even seem very likely to be passed on to offspring, so pet homes should be just fine. As long as they seem healthy, and you have people willing to take them no need to cull them I wouldn't think!

Pandora

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I'm a big softie when it comes to my babies too. The only ones I cull (in the ending their life sense, not just removal from breeding stock) are the ones with swim bladder disorder that doesn't clear up after a month, or the ones with spines that are bent enough it affects their swimming. The rest of the lil guys who aren't quite perfect end up given to friends.

New Threads