Separating Female?

Terabyte

So I have a very aggressive male red wag platie (With a bit of swordtail in em') , and he basically murdered my other male by constantly pestering him and chasing him when he came close to my female (Yeah the ratio was terrible). Now he is chasing my female 24/7 and I can tell she is done with it, she is hanging out at the top of the tank just like the male who got killed. I have put her in a fry box thing and she is just chilling currently with some freeze dried bloodworms. They will be moving to my 65 once it gets cycled and such in about 2 weeks. I will be adding 2 more females so that the harassment is more evenly distributed. So should I leave the female in there until the larger tank, for like a week, or just let her out?

Mcasella

Get the male out of the tank, if he is harassing her removing him will give her some peace and reintroducing him once you have other females will put him at a disadvantage enough for the females to settle with him picking on all three instead of just one all the time.
If you keep the male out then readd him once the 65 is cycled and other females are in it will be a whole new environment and cause a reestablishment of pecking order making it easier for the females to avoid him with more "sisters" in the tank to distract him.

Terabyte

Get the male out of the tank, if he is harassing her removing him will give her some peace and reintroducing him once you have other females will put him at a disadvantage enough for the females to settle with him picking on all three instead of just one all the time.
If you keep the male out then readd him once the 65 is cycled and other females are in it will be a whole new environment and cause a reestablishment of pecking order making it easier for the females to avoid him with more "sisters" in the tank to distract him.
Mmmmmm I see. So I can't really remove him as the only other tank I have beside the 65 and the tank they are in already is a 5 gallon tank but it is full of tannic acids and is going to be getting a betta very soon. What should I do?

Mcasella

Mmmmmm I see. So I can't really remove him as the only other tank I have beside the 65 and the tank they are in already is a 5 gallon tank but it is full of tannic acids and is going to be getting a betta very soon. What should I do?
Switch the male and female, if I read correctly you have her in a breeder box? This will keep him from targeting other fish in the tank as well and she will be able to hide away from him easier.

Terabyte

Switch the male and female, if I read correctly you have her in a breeder box? This will keep him from targeting other fish in the tank as well and she will be able to hide away from him easier.
Alrighty thanks!

Taff

Good advice I believe.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
LionFeather
Replies
Views