Question Separate groups?

Alliebaaba

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I have four male cherry Barb's in a tank. They are all doing great and healthy, but recently I notice they have decided to split. Two school together and the other two school together. They only come together to eat. Is this normal behavior? I've also noticed if it isn't the one that they have chose to school with then they chase it away. I'm about to get another tank started and I'm wondering should I put one of the pairs into the new tank or should I leave them as is. There are no nipped Fins but this is extremely new like maybe started over the weekend.

Attachments

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's super common for fish to not school if they don't feel threatened, so that isn't really unusual. Getting more would help tho, 4 fish is a pretty weak school for schooling fish. Unfortunately i don't know how adding more males would work, and you definitely need a much higher ratio of females to males if you added more or they will(typically) become aggressive.

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, it's related to them being in a small school. All of my Cherry Barbs readily intermingle. Doing an all male school is kinda a controveraial topic with Cherry Barbs, some people say it works and others say it doesn't. I think it's luck of the draw, it depends on the personality of the fish and the pecking order they choose to form.

OP
Alliebaaba

Alliebaaba

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I personally have been having a success but I don't have room to add more or any females. But I love them! They are the life of my tank to be honest! They love to swim around the whole tank! They are so curious and follow my Cory's around often! They even keep my female betta in line when she gets a little nippy. They never hurt her but they chase her from the fish she was going after. Pretty cute and fun to watch. This is my daughter's tank and she loves all of her fish but the colorful ones keep her attention longer. (Mind you she is only two) I actually never planned to get cherry Barb's but I got a group of fish from someone who had a could of Cory's, a rainbow fish, and the Cherry Barb. I got them as a group as they took the tank down. But I noticed the cherry Barb was so amazing! Even though he was so shy he would not let my betta bully the others. So that gave me the idea to look him up and find out how to help his shyness level decrease. There I found out they were schooling fish and about the controversy. But all they sale around me are male cherry Barb's so I decided to test my luck and if they didn't get along I was gonna take them back. For about a week the three new boys wouldn't even swim with the original and then after a month they suddenly started swimming, eating, and schooling together! I was so happy and love how much they have blossomed. They love to come and check things out!

New Threads