Separate for treatment or leave with shoal?

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Ordered some new weitzmanI cories to up my school, and when they arrived, I noticed one was a little thin for my liking. After observing for a few days now, I see he is struggling with food due to damaged barbels.

I'm torn between isolating him to a hospital tank with daily 90% water changes to keep water as clean as possible to allow him healing and being alone will allow him access to food as slow as he can eat without a horde of 45 other fish stealing his share of food...

While at same time, isolation as a single cory could stress him so soon after being shipped and acclimated to a new tank and stress could impact him even more. I find weitzmanI to be a little more jumpy and wary than most of the cories ive kept, except for pygmy.

Which would you do?

Hospital tank would be bare bottomed as the poor guy is very tender and flinches just touching the sand with his barbels.
20200212_071617.jpg

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Can you keep him in the tank and provide a barrier, so that he's 'safe' from other fish, yet in the same environment?

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
juniperlea said:
Can you keep him in the tank and provide a barrier, so that he's 'safe' from other fish, yet in the same environment?
I could, I have a perforated container for separating, but I didnt know if being so high up top would stress him either

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
How is he today? Can you take plastic craft canvas and use that to separate him?

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
juniperlea said:
How is he today? Can you take plastic craft canvas and use that to separate him?
Its a 46g bowfront, thatd be tricky.
He has perked up and seems brighter so hes staying put for the time being, just sticking with micropellets to make sure the food is small enough to eat easier for him.

Brizburk said:
I would move them all (the new ones) to a QT and treat all the new ones.
Treat with what though, I have no medication access in my country lol best I can do would be water changes for infection prevention. Cories can't do salt either so...

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hes on the right in this raft of resting cories. Hes definitely perked up and is eating the micropellets easily and eagerly. I tried frozen mysis shrimp but he went nuts from being unable to eat it. Literally spazzed out, the poor thing. But his barbels look a bit less sore today too. I may hold off on moving him as long as he keeps going uphill. But ill move him and a buddy if needed if he starts going downhill.
20200213_145437.jpg

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd leave it. It is not contagious which would be my main reason to seperate.
It should recover in normal conditions in the main tank.

NEVER treat Corys (and especially barbellloss).in a barebottom tank btw.

They need "good" bacteria in the substrate and it might even have caused the this in the fist place.

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
I'd leave it. It is not contagious which would be my main reason to seperate.
It should recover in normal conditions in the main tank.

NEVER treat Corys (and especially barbellloss).in a barebottom tank btw.

They need "good" bacteria ij the substrate and it might even have caused the dge in the fist place.
I haven't seen the seller's store in person (it's 4 hours away) but their photo of their weitzmanI online show them in a sand bottom tank. Ive ordered other fish before and have gotten bits of substrate mixed in the bag lol
Corydoras weitzmanI - $15.00

This is the first time getting an affected fish from them, and ive ordered many many times from them with outstanding service, so I'm not too concerned that this particular fish is sick, but just under bad luck. Could even have been damaged during shipment for all I know.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MissNoodle said:
I haven't seen the seller's store in person (it's 4 hours away) but their photo of their weitzmanI online show them in a sand bottom tank. Ive ordered other fish before and have gotten bits of substrate mixed in the bag lol

This is the first time getting an affected fish from them, and ive ordered many many times from them with outstanding service, so I'm not too concerned that this particular fish is sick, but just under bad luck. Could even have been damaged during shipment for all I know.
Could have happened earlier. (transport, wholesaler)

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MissNoodle said:

I can't trust any store that has a picture of a Thick Lipped GouramI as a male Honey GouramI :p

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
Could have happened earlier. (transport, wholesaler)
Exactly. As always, thanks for the help. Wouldn't have thought about the beneficial bacteria in the substrate.

jinjerJOSH22 said:
I can't trust any store that has a picture of a Thick Lipped GouramI as a male Honey GouramI :p
Well if that's the only fault we can find haha. Ive actually had nothing but good from this store, very healthy fish normally, hardy and ship well. Better health than my local stores.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MissNoodle said:
Exactly. As always, thanks for the help. Wouldn't have thought about the beneficial bacteria in the substrate.

Well if that's the only fault we can find haha. Ive actually had nothing but good from this store, very healthy fish normally, hardy and ship well. Better health than my local stores.
Most online stores i've bought from usually have really healthy stock compared to my local stores, not saying they're bad just not usually as good.

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I'm not even sure anymore if hes getting better or worse. Half his whiskers are gone, and his tail has a spot too. Still thin and weak. He is eating at least, just not as much as my other pigs.

This is him today.
20200224_105904.jpg
20200224_110001.jpg
20200224_110014.jpg
20200224_110805.jpg

For reference this is the female that came with the same order from the same source. She is a very hearty little fish and is very active and happily joins the other weitzmani. Very vibrant girl

20200223_085325.jpg

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hes got no mouth left and some fins ripped off too, he looks so painful, BUT.

BUT.

This is the most active hes ever been and he is eating. He actually now joins the other cories and is digging around and acting normal.
20200305_061329.jpg
20200305_061318.jpg
20200305_061330.jpg

So while it's looking worse, he is acting better, so I will stay cautiously optimistic on him.

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
This is the last photo ive got of him.

Id like to give an update that he unfortunately did not live.
I came home and he was having spasms and laying on his side. He did not even flee from the net.

I let him go with clove oil, he did not even make it to the second dosing.

He was a weak little fish, unsure why it went so wrong for him and only him, but it is what it is. He fought for quite some time though, very resilient but in the end he was too far gone.
20200315_050652.jpg

New Threads