Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Separate Carbon Source Besides Bio Bag Cartridge? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ladman, Apr 20, 2019.

1. LadmanNew MemberMember

Hello all,

Its been a while since my last post, but my dual 10 gal tanks are doing very well now. One question i have is the following.

in both my 10Gal tanks that have glow fish in them, i have a Tetera Bio Bag cartridge and a mesh sponge filter in front of that. The Bio bag cartridge is getting very green, and i plan on swishing it around in the tank to clean it when i do my next PWC on the tanks. Do i need to add any carbon to these tanks? there is only room in the power filters for the bio bag cartridge and that mesh filter. Would adding in a separate carbon source in the tank be beneficial at all?

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Honestly carbon isn't necessary unless A) you're removing medication or B) you're trying to get rid of odors.

I'd rather free up more space for biological/mechanical media than waste space on unnecessary carbon.

3. LadmanNew MemberMember

Sounds good to me lol. I just did a 80% water change on one of my tanks, and cleaned the bio cartridge, and daumm that thing was gross. its much better now.

4. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Here is a link to a thread on the forum you may find useful.

Link is a long thread dealing with using DIY media that is reusable in filters, and getting away from cartridges. Examples show inexpensive methods also.