Sensitive fish acclimation

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just got some rummy nose tetras and otos! And more harlequin rasboras. Since they're stressed from being at the fish store, what exactly should I do to increase their likelihood of living?

The rummy noses aren't rummy nosed at all right now, and the rasboras are pale as well.

I put them all in the same Q tank, with snails for company. I read (at otocinclus.com) that frequent water changes enhance the chances of survival for the first month. Would that apply to the tetras and the rasboras as well? I have a live plant in the Q tank, but I can take it out if the fish would rather do without the light it requires.

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you keep the water fresh and the parameters safe. Feeding them good foods like spirulina will also help. Otocinclus.com recommends a month of extremely fresh water because the fish usually either make it through the first month or not - after that, they typically won't have a random die-off.

Leave the plant in and just use normal hours of light - the plant will help keep the water clean. If the plant needs over 12 hours of light to sustain itself, then yes, you should remove it.

One question though, why buy unhealthy fish? If they don't look good and you feel you must rescue them - you may or may not be able to do them any good.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When you say they were stressed at the fish store, do you mean they were sick when you got them?

Keep your water very clean. If you don't have a cycled filter in your tank, you should probably do water changes everyday, like you would for a fry tank. Make sure you have plenty of food available to the otos but don't overfeed where you have leftover food rotting in the tank. If you have any driftwood or decorations with brown or green algae on them, putting them in the tank could help them keep thier bellies full.

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
No, I didn't buy sick fish intentionally! I meant that they probably weren't being given the proper treatment at the pet store...it was Petco. The fish looked fine, but when I got home they were pale, know what I mean? Affected by the trip, I guess. I can't find spirulina; how about bloodworms? And with the water changes, y'all mean about 15% each time?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would say at least that much daily, and keep the bottom of the tank vacuumed. They are just stressed right now in a new place. The clean water will give them the best chance of adjusting and staying healthy.

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Will do, thankie

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
So, I've lost two rummy noses.

The remaining ones look like they have ich, white spots all over. The other fish don't show signs of ich. The temperature is about 79, 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Ammonia and nitrites are zero and nitrates are at 20 or 30.

Could I have gotten a sick group from the store? Or is this my fault somehow...?

I've done daily water changes of 50% and fed them "the good food" (frozen bloodworms).

ncje

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rummy nose tetras are usually pale when stressed or first thing in the morning. Something has stressed them I would say causing them to be susceptable to the ich.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's very possible they were sick when you got them. Rummy noses are very sensitive, and your nitrates are high. You may have to do larger water changes. I'd raise the temp. to about 84 degrees to treat the ich.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Janmitch22 they sound like they came from the store stressed so lets raise your temp to 85F and leave it for 14 days this should get rid of the ich for you. Keep up the frequent water changes also. And yes it's very possible you got a sick group from the store, but lets get them well now. Good luck!!
Carol

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
So far I've lost two more rummy noses, an oto and a harlequin rasbora. Sheesh.

I've gotten my nitrates down to 10-20 and the water temperature is at 89-90 degrees. I lowered the level of the water so that the filter output would have more splash. Check?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The temp needs to come down to 85 if possible. The higher the temperature the less oxygen it can hold. It needs to be 85 to cure the ich, but 89 or higher makes the water almost incapable of holding oxygen. I know it is asking a lot, but could you try to bring it down a little and add an airstone to keep the oxygen level up?

I hope this helps. I haven't heard that you lost any Otos. Good! They seem to be hanging in there. The clean water is very important for them.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just for the record, Otos are extremely sensitive to nitrates. Levels at 20 may cause them to come down with finrot. I know you are doing the best you can with the fish and I'm sorry about your losses. :'( I will second that the temp is way too high. But be sure to lower it very slowly. Don't let it change more than a degree a day. Rummy Noses are very delicate fish and they probably weren't taken care of too well at the store, so don't be too hard on yourself. Oh yeah, I wouldn't medicate unless the ich is getting really bad, but with the Otos I would use half dosage and certainly no salt.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good job lowering the water level so the filter outlet will splash some. This will help aereate the water some. Sorry your having such a hard time, bet the survivors will be tough little fishes.
Carol

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lost another rasbora!
I have two rummy noses left, three otos and four rasboras I think.

The ich on the rummy noses isn't visible anymore, which is a relief. But the otos look like someone sprinkled powdered sugar on them. The temperature is riding at 86-ish and I'm doing daily 50% changes.

I witnessed some snail-on-fish violence. I'm gone all day, so when these fish die, the snails go right ahead and snack away. These little fish skeletons will be picked clean by the time I get home. Some of these fish had ich; what will that do to the snails?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hopefully the continued raised temps will get rid of all the ich, even from the snails.
Carol

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's been about two weeks since I raised my temperature to 86-87. There are no visible signs of ich and the fish are looking fishy (like normal fish.) Today I actually saw my lone rummy nose tetra eating. Is it okay to take it, the other rasboras and the otos out of quarantine? After lowering the temperature for a few days, of course. I didn't use a drop of ich medication; I'm glad the temperature rise helped.  I thank all of you for your advice.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom