Seneye Light Metering Functions.

sixtyfour

I've had this Seneye device for a long time, but I've never messed with the light meter functions. I didn't even realize till last night that I needed to position it horizontally, and move it around the tank to get good data. That's probably why those graphs just looked like random crazy.

I don't know much on the lighting front. I'm reading in a effort to get up to speed. The Seneye measures Lux, PAR, and Kelvin. I have a very surface understanding of what those are.

So my questions:

1. Anybody have experience with the Seneye light meter operations?

2. I have a beginner planted tank, no CO2, 55g, and an NIcrew 48" RGB. What kind of numbers should I expect?

3. What kind of numbers should I strive for?

If somebody has some charts on these values link me.

4. Is there another reasonably priced meter I could get to double check the Seneye?
You must be registered to see images

sixtyfour

Here are the LUX and PAR numbers I got today. Something is amiss with kelvin. I'm still trying to figure out the details.

Wraithen

I've had this Seneye device for a long time, but I've never messed with the light meter functions. I didn't even realize till last night that I needed to position it horizontally, and move it around the tank to get good data. That's probably why those graphs just looked like random crazy.

I don't know much on the lighting front. I'm reading in a effort to get up to speed. The Seneye measures Lux, PAR, and Kelvin. I have a very surface understanding of what those are.

So my questions:

2. I have a beginner planted tank, no CO2, 55g, and an NIcrew 48" RGB. What kind of numbers should I expect?

If somebody has some charts on these values link me.

4. Is there another reasonably priced meter I could get to double check the Seneye?
1. No

2. No idea

3. Probably about 25 or so with those plants

4. Hahahahahahahaha... nope. You may be able to rent one though. Actual par meters are super expensive.

sixtyfour

Well here's what I got. Apparently the standard Kelvin scale doesn't work well with high end lights and LEDs. At least that's what Seneye says.

I'm finally getting some "good" sampling. I'm not really sure since this is the first time I've done it, and I only have one measuring device.

Floating on the surface:
PAR = 59
Lux = 2128
PUR = 72%

I can only guess that PUR is like PLUR, but without the love.;-)j/k

On the Bottom
PAR = 17
LUX = 601
PUR = 71%

Wraithen

Pur is photo usable radiation instead of active. It's the slightly better way to measure since plants and corals can't use all of par

sixtyfour

The Seneye isn't really made to be used horizontally. They sell a float.

I zip tied a couple of test tubes to it.

For the bottom I used sockets.

sixtyfour

I got the thing all set up and tried a few different lights on it. I'd like to try some good quality lights on this rig. All measurements are taken at substrate. There is 16 inches of water between the light and the meter, standard glass canopy. 18 inches from light to meter.

NiCrew RGB
PAR = 19
LUX = 656
PUR = 71%
Not Kelvin

2 T8 Barrina LED tubes 24 Watt 6000k CRI 85
PAR = 16
LUX = 549
PUR = 61%
Kelvin = 5201

23 inch old, old school flouresent tube
PAR = 11
LUX = 381
PUR = 71%
Not Kelvin

Let me be honest. I don't entirely know what this means, but I'm giving it my best effort. Here is a picture of where and how I placed the sensor.

I'll also attached the screen shots off the meter.

The position of the light has a huge and unpredictable impact. Just moving it a 1/4 inch back and forth can move the PAR 5 points.

Wraithen

5 points isn't much, but I'm highly doubting those par numbers. They sound crazy low

sixtyfour

Hmmmm, I wonder what I'm doing wrong. If I put the sensor directly on the light I get about 171 PAR.

Wraithen

Hmmmm, I wonder what I'm doing wrong. If I put the sensor directly on the light I get about 171 PAR.
Hey, I could always be wrong! It is hard to get par to the bottom of a tank! It just seems lower than I would expect.

sixtyfour

I'm not home so I can't play with this more. I'm eager to change the test location and double check my methods. I also want to get a higher end light to see what it does.

This guy had a lot of good I information. This gives me a little more of an idea what to expect.

I do wonder if the fact that I'm using the NiCrew RGB is a problem. I really wish I had an NiCrew Classic and Sky models to test. I don't know how many lights I can justify buying for one tank. If anybody in Columbus or the surrounding area wants to test their lights bring them over.

sixtyfour

Tonight I went 3 inches above substrate. I made sure I was good and level. The NICrew RGB pulled a PAR 15, at 13 inches of water column. Cleaning, and removing the canapoy had less than 1 PAR impact. LUX 450ish, and PUR = 71%. I'd like everyone to remember that PUR is Peace Unity and Respect. Those rave kids put an L in there too;-)

I'm thinking about putting that 4 foot LED tube behind the tank like in the picture. It has no impact on PAR the way the sensor is placed, but that is misleading.

sixtyfour

Upgraded the sensor holder.

sixtyfour

Now that I've refined the test methodology I'm ready to really compare some lights. The NiCrew RGB in this position is rocking PAR 15 Lux 530 PUR 72%

Fluval AquaSky PAR 34 LUX 1200 PUR 62%

Attached is the Fluval screenshot.

Another interesting note: even though it is much smaller, the fluval light distribution is way more even. When I move it back and forth there is only a 1 PAR change. The NICrew was swinging about 5.

Wraithen

Another interesting note: even though it is much smaller, the fluval light distribution is way more even. When I move it back and forth there is only a 1 PAR change. The NICrew was swinging about 5.
You have to remember the fluval uses 120 degree LEDs, while most others use 90. It's a more even spread of light.

With the dirty tops, I just cleaned mine yesterday. It makes the light look better in the water, but it's been tested many times that dirty glass really doesn't affect par much. What gets really confusing is a par of say 100 with a pur of 75, is going to be less effective than a light with par of 80, but pur of 95. That's part of the game where manufacturers either don't realize, or specifically skew but omission.

sixtyfour

So I went out and bought some big HOs.

4 tube High Output T5s from the Hydroponic store. After a bit of positioning, I got crazy numbers! PAR 97 LUX 3543 PUR 61%.

Sunblaze 44, Florescent Bulbs included $128.99 including tax out the door. I'll probably have to disconnect a bulb or two with this bad lad.

You have to remember the fluval uses 120 degree LEDs, while most others use 90. It's a more even spread of light.

With the dirty tops, I just cleaned mine yesterday. It makes the light look better in the water, but it's been tested many times that dirty glass really doesn't affect par much. What gets really confusing is a par of say 100 with a pur of 75, is going to be less effective than a light with par of 80, but pur of 95. That's part of the game where manufacturers either don't realize, or specifically skew but omission.

I have yet to see a PUR above 73. The higher end lights seem to give less PUR.

Cheap NiCrew had the best PUR, but poor PAR.

Wraithen

Cheap NiCrew had the best PUR, but poor PAR.
I was making up numbers on the fly!

sixtyfour

Now I have to mount this beast?

Wonder what kind of hooks I have around here.

sixtyfour

My wife is going to kill me

sixtyfour

Now I understand why all the big tank shops have hanging lights. The cost per PAR is night and day. You'll be spend a fortune on lights unless you get big bad daddies to hang over the tank. These big light rigs are widely available. Good bulbs are $5 each. Awesome bulbs are $10. My reasearch wou suggest that 2 2-bulb fixtures split between the .front and back would be best. I'll have to run the meter on it to see what the power consumption is like.

sixtyfour

So my questions:

Yes, I'm the Kung Foo Master

12 - 18 PAR 500ish Lux at 13 inches of water column at substrate. Note they sell better lights than that one.

30 PAR at substrate is good for most applications.

Nope, the Seneye is about as cheap as it gets. The next step is $350 and it isn't even the good one. You can rent them, and I hear reef clubs have loaners.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ryanr
Replies
Views
outlaw
Replies
Views
Rcslade124
  • Question
Replies