Senegal bichir Help

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by Zc668, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Z

Zc668 New Member Member

Currently i have a 55 gallon tank with a senegal bichir and a jack dempsey with a pleco. The JD and the bichir are both really small. The JD is about 1 1/2 inches and the bichir is about 2 inches. When i try to sink some small cichlid pellets i notice that if the JD doesn't already devour them the bichir will literally bump into the pellet smell it and eat it. I'm worried that he is not getting enough to eat. I bought some frozen blood worms and it makes a huge mess since the JD can't eat it fast enough and the food just goes all over. Is there something i can feed him that will sink and that he is able to swallow? Also is it normal for a pleco that has just been introduced to a tank to bury itself under a clay pot in sand?

2. Time

Time Well Known Member Member

Try giving the blood worms in smaller portions.
    It's normal for fish to be shy. Does the pleco have anywhere else to hide?

I'm sure someone else can help you better.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    Z

Zc668 New Member Member

The pleco has 2 pots for caves and im going to add driftwood once i get it so sink. I had it soaking underwater for about 2 weeks and it still floats. =\

4. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Both Hikari and Omega make sinking pellets of varying sizes, and both are excellent foods.

5. OP
    OP
    Z

Zc668 New Member Member

I dont have a problem with the food. The problem is my bichir is slow to find food and the JD eats a lot of the food. I've noticed that the JD doesn't like shrimp so that's what i try to feed the bichir. I have trouble getting it to sink because i have to cut it up so small to fit in the bichir's mouth.

6. sirdarksol

Ah, sorry. I read your post backward. I thought the issue was that the JD was having problems getting food into its mouth.

Senegal bichirs are scavengers. They'll often find what they need in the substrate. However, to supplement that, you may want to periodically feed the tank a few pieces of shrimp (as in one cut-up small shrimp, or half a medium one, etc...) or fish. Feed at the end of the tank farthest away from the bichir first, to keep the JD away from it, then put the rest close to the bichir.

7. OP
    OP
    Z

Zc668 New Member Member

I have been feeding him tiny pieces of shrimp because that is all he can fit in his mouth. The JD also likes shrimp so if the bichir doesn't eat it fast enough the JD comes over and eats it. Also is it possible for them to choke? I accidentally gave the bichir a piece of shrimp that he couldn't swallow right away and was just in his mouth and I got nervous.

8. sirdarksol

I doubt they can easily choke themselves. If it gets a piece in its mouth, it will either worry at it until he breaks it into bits that he can eat, or just keep working until he swallows it. They're built to eat like that.

9. OP
    OP
    Z

Zc668 New Member Member

Well i just gave my bichir a piece of an earthworm. I cut it so the piece is about a half an inch long. Right now the bichir is trying to swallow it and the piece is bigger than his mouth. When he first bit it he did what looked like a death roll that an alligator would do lol. He is quite and interesting fish.

10. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Try feeding him Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets and break one up into small pieces and drop in before lights out or after lights out. :) Maybe soak them in some tank water to soften up first.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  11. OP
    OP
    Z

Zc668 New Member Member

He seems to like the Hikari Gold Cichlid pellets that i got for my JD or shrimp and earthworms. If one gets to the bottom he will swallow it up. Only problem is i over filter my tank and the food flies all over the tank before it will finally stay on the bottom.

12. sirdarksol

I don't know why I didn't think to say "feed after dark." Alyeskagirl is right on that one. That's how I feed my kuhlis to keep the other fish from getting their shrimp pellets.

You can get a long pair of tongs from most aquarium stores, and then use that to put the food down at the bottom of the tank and target-feeding the bichir.

13. haji4

haji4 Valued Member Member

I have a bichir and he loves the cut up salad shrimp I give him. I have him in a 125gal. and he has some strange tank mates. He and my clown loach are buddies. I have 3 angels, 2 albino tiger barbs, 2 rummy nose tetras, 2 rasborras, 1 redtailed shark. 7 Kribensis, and 1 8 year old emperor tetra. Oh and 3 plecos 1 clown and 2 albino bristlenose. They all get along well and no tail nipping. But feeding gets crazy and my bichir waits for his shrimp. eveyone is so crazy that they send it down to him. He does like guppy fry as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice