Senegal Bichir Questions

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by Fishbro5, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Fishbro5

Fishbro5Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    3 years
    Alright so I am not a beginner but I really didn't know what category to put this in that will get responded to so I chose this one. In my 75 gallon I have 4 Bosemani Rainbowfish (One jumped out unbeknownst and died recently), a Rainbow Shark, Pictus Catfish, Blood Parrot, and hopefully soon a Albino Senegal Bichir. In my 37 gallon quarantine I have my Bichir. He has been in there for 3 months and I am a little concerned to finally put him in the 75. Sometimes it is already hard to feed the Pictus because all the other Pigs (fish) steal my carnivore pellets before they get to the bottom. What I am concerned about is that the Bichir will go into the display tank, not get enough food, and starve to death. It already is a little slow to get to the food by itself in the quarantine. Any suggestions as to how to make sure my Bichir will get fed enough food in the display tank?

2. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +359
    Experience:
    1 year
    Well it’s reasonable to suspect the bichir is healthy. So maybe put say half the rainbows in the qt with him and see how he fares.

3. Willis19

Willis19New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    I suggest using a plastic tube to direct food to the bottom without interference.

4. OP
    OP
    Fishbro5

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    3 years
    The Rainbows were actually with him in the quarantine for a month and he was able to get the food so should he be alright to put into the big tank now?

That sounds amazing I will definitely do that. I have seen it before with stingray but never thought about that for a Bichir.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2019
  5. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +359
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yea I’d go for it. Worst case you gotta move him back. Maybe a little competition will motivate him :)

6. OP
    OP
    Fishbro5

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    3 years
    Is there a type of Algae eater that could go well with a Senegal Bichir in a 75 gallon? I know that Pleco have a sweet tooth for Bichir slime coat but I would really like a very efficient Algae eater.

7. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +330
    Experience:
    3 years
    I'd say pleco may be your best bet...I've never personally heard of or seen a pleco attack a fish for slime coat. I know chinese algae eaters will go out of their way to do this when they're adults. But I have 2 (1 common and one leopard sailfin) plecos in with a large oscar and some other large fish that my plecos leave alone 100%. Not sure about the bichir I suppose but, thats odd behavior for a pleco, at least in my experience.

I've worked at an LFS for 3.5 years and I can't think of an 'efficient' algae eater for a semi-preditorial tank other than a pleco (though most species really shouldnt even be considered algae eaters). Snails might help out but you'll need quite a few for a 75G tank. Any other algae eater you add in there may become food for the bichir. otocinclus are great algae eaters but they max out around 1.5In. I've heard of a such thing as a 'giant otocinclus', but I've only seen them once. Siamensis are an option but they're not going to do much for the algae on the glass, they'll eat hair algae and some other choice types though.

If you don't mind me asking, do you want an algae eater for tank maintenance? Are you having an algae problem? Adding an algae eater to the tank to help with an excess in algae growth will essentially make the problem worse in the long run. If you're dealing with an excess in algae, I'd test your phosphate and nitrate levels. It's possible those are running a bit high and may need to be diluted. Diluting nitrate and phosphate as well as decreasing light levels in the tank (leaving the tank dark for 3 or so days) may help at fixing the root of the problem.

8. Redshark1

Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,766
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    More information is required please. What kind of algae and what is it growing on? Thanks.

9. OP
    OP
    Fishbro5

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    3 years
    I honestly can’t tell you what kind is growing but it’s green, on the glass, and freakin annoying. I think it could be the light levels though, I have them on for 10 hours a day. If I don’t scrub algae at all for 5 days it basically covers my tank. It’s actually been quite bad but I be just gotten used to scrubbing it.

I think it is Blackbrush algae. It is covering my plants and my glass.

10. Redshark1

Ratings:
    +1,766
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I don't know your situation in detail but I'll tell you my experience with this type of algae.

Like you say it will cover surfaces in the tank. I have Clown Loaches in a 110 gallon. No plants of course, they eat them. So lots of nutrients to feed algae.

I scrape the front glass but leave the back and sides for the algae to grow on. It stays relatively short there and I don't mind it.

I vacuum the gravel and it seems to stop it growing there as the gravel gets mixed.

When needed, I take out my resin wood ornaments and paint them with Easycarbo (liquid carbon product). I leave them a few minutes so the gluteraldehyde takes effect (it kills algae), rinse them well in tapwater and return them to the tank.

I keep my light period short.

These methods together keep the algae under control. I have it on the back and side glass but I could scrape it off if I wanted to.

The only fish I've had that would eat this algae and keep the tank spotless was a Sailfin Pleco but I gave him away many years ago without realising how important he was. He grew to 12" long and I think a 75 gallon may be an unsuitable home.

11. OP
    OP
    Fishbro5

Ratings:
    +45
    Experience:
    3 years
    Ok thank you I will

Would Flourish Excel work in place as the Easycarbo?

12. Redshark1

Ratings:
    +1,766
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes and other users report it is even more effective than Easycarbo though I myself find the latter effective enough that I haven't tried Excel.

This I believe is because gluteraldehyde is at a slightly higher concentration (2% for Excel compared to 1.5% for Easycarbo both mixed with water with no other ingredients).

Excel is also said to use a slightly different molecule of gluteraldehyde (the exact formula is a trade secret).

If following me and treating ornaments outside the tank I would advise painting it on. Use goggles to protect your eyes and disposable gloves to protect your hands. Use in a well ventilated area because its not good to breathe it in (never breathe in vapours or dust). I've diluted it a half and half with water and it still worked.

Spraying is quicker but I advise against it as you would probably breathe it in and this is not a good idea. Treat it as though it was bleach. Always look after No.1 you don't want to suffer later.

I don't spot treat algae in the tank or increase the recommended aquarium concentraion to treat algae as I value my fish and would not exceed the dose for planted tanks. Other people do and I'd do some careful research if planning to do that. I know that some plants such as swords and vallis will not tolerate a dip in 1.5% gluteraldehyde to control the algae on them for example.

I hope this helps. There is lots of info on the web e.g. Planted Tank Forum.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019