Send Help! Severe Algae Take Over! Identification Needed!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Coolkid, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Coolkid

CoolkidNew MemberMember

[​IMG]
    This grew in the span of a little over a week. :(

First of all: long time lurker, First post.
    I think it could be some sort of cyanobacteria (due to the strong swampy smell), but I've never seen in a reddish black form and forming long strands. is black Beard? it peels off very easily, and forms a jelly like clear layer over the plant leaves. I've tried Excel dosing and it's not responding. The best I've gotten it to budge was a week long black out: but it came right back.

Tank specs: 15 gal flauval flex

Stocking: 6 neon tetras, 2 glowlight tetras, 3 endlers, and 2 nerite snails.

Phosphate: 0.25 ppm

Nitrate: under 5 ppm

ammonia: 0 ppm

Receives 7 hours of light each day. it is next to a window, but the blinds are down most of the time.

I used to run Diy Co2 (yeast method) but cut it after it seemed to make it worst. I am expecting a better (the more stable citric acid method) Co2 generator in the mail soon. would that help?

At the moment I'm about to tear down the tank, replace most of the plants, replace some of the substate with aqua soil, and remove as much algae as possible.

Any suggestions to beat back this slimy menace?

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Manual removal is the best place to start. It looks red like the Excel is killing it are you spot dsoing with a syringe? If the tank is estasblished do a big WC and suck out as much as possible and keep on top of the manual removal. Others will chime in with more ideas but those are my thoughts on it.

3. OP
    OP
    Coolkid

CoolkidNew MemberMember

Thanks for replaying!
    I'm not doing spot treatment (as it's kind of every where). the tank has been established for a year and half. I'll admit, it first appeared during finals (i fell behind of tank maintenance).

4. kallililly1973

Welcome. That has a lot to do with it. Regular tank Maint. Is a must but i'm not kocking you. It's just you need to really catch up on it. Keep doing the removal and regular WC's and keep your lights low or off for a bit to help with the algae issue and i think you will be back up n running in a few short weeks. Also going from DIY co2 then letting it lapse could have a lot to do with it as well. I'de hold off on the co2 till your totally dedicated to routine maint. Good luck!! Do you have ashot of the entire tank?

5. OP
    OP
    Coolkid

CoolkidNew MemberMember

[​IMG]
    Full Scope of the infestation :(

6. kallililly1973

Don't feel bad thats a great looking tank keep up with it and it will look pristine in no time!!

7. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Turn off your filter and dose hydrogen peroxide(around 2ml per L)and turn your filter back on an hour later. Do it daily for a week or so. You should see results in a day or 2. You can do this along with other treatments to accelerate the process.