Semi-temporary Bichir Housing 65 Gallon Tank

1. T

Terabyte Valued Member Member

Sooooo while I was combing my local Petsmart for cheap plants I saw that they finally had some Senegal bichirs in stock. I've been looking for them for a long time so I picked one up. I put him in my 65 gallon tank with some Kuhlis, Serpae Tetras, and a big ol' BN pleco. The bichir is only like 3 1/2 inches long, a tad bigger than my loaches. I was wondering how much longer he could be in this tank before he gets aggressive. I am going to be adding some Harlequin Rasboras so they might become prey faster than the tetras. In the coming months I will be getting two 75 gallon tanks, one of which will be for the bichir. If he needs moved soon I can put him in a 20 gallon by himself.

2. B

BichirKeeper84 Valued Member Member

I wouldn't leave him in much longer. Bichirs are carnivorous and I would fear the loaches will be the first meal. Anything that can fit in their mouth will and they can open their mouth wider than you think.

I'd try to move him or the kuhlis or asap. I would worry less about the rasboras as they will be a greater challenge to catch.

Also keep a very close eye on your pleco. Plecos and bichirs aren't always a great mix as if the pleco gets a taste of the bichirs slime coat, it will continue to try and suck it off. This will eventually lead to the bichirs demise. It may never bother it but plenty of bichir keepers have lost bichirs this way. So it's a definite risk. If you ever see the pleco attached to your bichir separate to different tanks immediately