Semi New To Fish Keeping

CatnipInvader

Reaction score
Hello! I'm in my mid-twenties and have had tanks on and off my whole life, my most recent tank I was in charge of was a 20(ish lol) gal freshwater at the feed store I worked at (think a health food store for animals, complete with mostly hippie clientele). it was stocked with fancy guppies, neon tetras and one or two otocincluses, it was about 4 years ago so i may be completely wrong on who all was in there. recently I have been fascinated by Bettas, I've NEVER had one before mostly because I never found one pretty and I never liked the way they were "advertised" to be taken care of, but i've recently seen the blue and white marbles, the lavender/pink colors and the halfmoon and plakat style tails and found then beautiful. I've also been really entranced by the wild types of Bettas. I also really like the look of blackwater tanks and in researching Betta care finding that they can really like blackwater tanks that makes me very excited for potential display tanks!

I'm also very interesed in Iwagumi style aquascaping.

I'd also like to try saltwater tanks.

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you're looking for bettas (especially wild types) definitely take a look on aquabid. They cost more than petstore bettas but are usually bred and sold by people who actually know what they're doing. A lot of them will have to be imported so keep that in mind if you plan to buy.

Also I'm sure you have read all about it but bettas (specifically petstore ones) are prone to a lot of ailments. Many will develop tumors, be weighed down by their own fins, have deformed bodies or fins, etc. because of their history of inbreeding. Wild types are usually healthier but not always as colourful. So if you get one just be prepared but don't beat yourself up if they take a bad turn.

CatnipInvader

Reaction score
I've been scoping out aquabid for about a month now lol! such a great resource and a bit of option shock. part of the reason I've yet to get a new fishy friend is I want to make sure I'm investing a proper amount of time and money into the tank and research. I have a chronic over researching habit, I made my younger bro write me research paper on leopard gecko care before I let him get one.I'm thinking that to start with I'll stick to the more domesticated breeds (species?) due to the wild types being spendier and according to some fussier, I have seen a few mixed opinions on that though.

I feel that the amount of illness common to pet store Bettas is another factor as to why I never got one prior.

basically I'm probably going to be researching this for another three months before I even decide on tank size lol. thinking a 10gal divided in two or 20 also split in half... hmm so many things and factors to contemplate! heck I don't even know what my tap water looks like!

also thank you for the reply and tips! I'm very excited to learn more about this hobby!

Top Bottom