Semi-aquatic Aquarium Ideas

1. zeeno8

zeeno8 Valued Member Member

I have a 20 gallon tall tank, and it's currently cycling for future fish. I was originally planning on having fish, but I kinda want to try something different. Is there any animals (amphibian/crustacean, etc) that would do well in a 20 gallon tall tank?

2. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

You could do some Pom Pom crabs or Mexican dwarf crayfish.

3. Albifrons

Albifrons Well Known Member Member

Fire bellied newts only need about 5-10 gallons, so you could try some of them. Be warned though, they can live up to 30 years!

4. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

you could turn it into a paludarium and get some african dwarf frogs. or maybe some orange mexican dwarf crayfish?

5. OP
    OP
    zeeno8

zeeno8 Valued Member Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I was doing a bit of research myself, and I was originally going to try fire belly newts, but they are hard to find in my area, and I discovered fire bellied toads. They look pretty awesome, and the setup is pretty simple. Anybody have these guys?

6. F

Fishcat Valued Member Member

No, but I’ve been wanting them for a while! They are adorable little things. If you get them, you must post pictures.

7. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

They’re extremely good at escaping, so make sure you have a secure lid! I had fire bellied newts as a child and they all disappeared. Same with the fire bellied toads ... I still to this day cannot figure out how they got out. I would be missing one each day.