Semi aggressive

Tlfrost

Reaction score
Good day folks- I am wondering what are the best semi-aggressive fish to put together in a 40 gallon tank?

mclemente06

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm assuming you want aggressive fish because of the aggressive eating and BA nature and not fighting.

Cichlids for sure but keeping them together is tough and with smaller fish is a no go. Angels are probably the most common cichlid and would be my choice as they can live peacefully easily but still can play that dominant cichlid role in a tank. Convict cichlids are another common choice.

Barbs are another good choice for people that like a fast eating fish that'll shred up whatever you put in the tank and you can successfully keep them with some other species if you do it right.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mclemente06 said:
I'm assuming you want aggressive fish because of the aggressive eating and BA nature and not fighting.
Barbs are another good choice for people that like a fast eating fish that'll shred up whatever you put in the tank and you can successfully keep them with some other species if you do it right.
My turquoise rainbowfish are pretty entertaining to watch eat also. They're very quick.

OP
T

Tlfrost

Reaction score
Thank you, Absolutely not, I do not want them for the fighting nature. I had a rainbow shark in with my guppies and he harrassed the guppies, so I had to rehome him. But I really enjoyed watching him, ame would love to get another. Do you think a rainbow shark would be a possible addition to a semI aggressive habitat.
Thanks
TlF

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are other cichlids that will work convicts and keyholes are interesting fish. Add a sevrum and geophagus and you have a nice set up with some interesting fish. Add rocks and caves and places for fish to hide or just break line of site.
Yes a rainbow will hold his own with these fish

New Threads