selling tiger barbs Question

1. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure 3 of my tiger barbs are prego. I called up a lfs and asked if they'd buy tiger barbs. They told me they'd buy them for 10 cents per fish. Is that a good price or am I getting ripped off?

2. Animalover Member Member

It depends on how much they sell them fore, Big Al's buys fish for 1/3 of the price they sell them for and I think it's a pretty fair price.But, since I doubt they are 30 cents each, it seems like you are getting ripped off.

3. delta5 Well Known Member Member

The going price here is 3.54 to 5 depending on size. The cheapest I ever seen them was for a dollar at Petsmart during a seasonal sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Animalover Member Member

Well, since yours are going to be small when you sell them (if you sell them as soon as they are big enough to be sold), then a price of around a dollar should be fair.

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That does seem pretty cheap to me I'd expect more for them.
    Btw tiger barbs don't get pregnant they're egg scatterers, I doubt many if any fry would survive in a community tank especially with other barbs

6. delta5 Well Known Member Member

If I could get a fair price id setup a breeding tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Animalover Member Member

Are there any other fish stores in your area that you could ask?

8. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Not that I know of. The lfs that offered me 10 cents said they really only like buying rare hard to find fish from individuals. I may try petco, petland tomorrow. Prob call petsmart and ask to speak with a manager instead of talking to a 'sales associate.'

9. FiscCyning Member Member

The big companies like Petco and Petsmart don't buy fish from local breeders. They can only get them from whatever company that corporate tells them to order from. Petco just does its adoption program but there is no money involved; they take in your extra fish and then give them away for free.

It seems like in most cases breeding and selling fish from home aquariums is not profitable. The amount of time, effort, and cost of supplies are enough that you don't earn enough to make it worthwhile if your main motivation is profit.

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Sometimes independant Lfs will give you a little for them or store credit, but as FiscCyning says actually making money from home bred fish unless you're doing it on a large scale is almost impossible.

11. escapay Well Known Member Member

Just bought my 10 for 80 cents a piece, but yes generally go on sale for the dollar in the bigger sales.

I personally think 10 cents is cheap. I think with my Lemon Tetras I gave 3 of mine to the LFS and I received $2 in credit. I think their normal price is $2 a fish. So yeah, 1/3 of the cost they would sell them for normally.

Do you have any local fish clubs? Sometimes you can sell them at their auctions for more than the 10 cents a fish...

12. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I'm not really looking to profit per say, but I don't want to give any possible offspring away for free either. I called the mom and pop store near me and they said 50 cents per tiger barb, but they need to be 12 weeks old, and 2 dollars per electric yellow lab, but they have to be 2-3" or I think they said 6 months old. 4 dollars per electric yellow that is at least 5".

I didn't ask about these fish, but the guy told me if I raised discus they'd buy them all day long; however, its not an option because my water is very hard, and tap's pH was 8.2, but is now testing 7.2. (yes, pH meter is calibrated)

13. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I get £2 for most of my corys but that's only because I breed some of the less often seen ones in my local area & I've built up a good relationship with my Lfs over the years.
    I also sell any surplus on my local facebook groups.

14. garikapc Member Member

One of my LFSs sold Tiger Barbs for 3 for $5 when I setup my tank early this June. To the OP, I see you note you are in Ohio and this was the NEO area so maybe that gives you an idea of comparative pricing. Good luck!

15. delta5 Well Known Member Member

The only ones here to ever go on sale for a dollar are the small ones, juveniles. I think if I was going to attempted to make a profit, i'd do angelfish.