Selling fry?

undetermined

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How would I go about selling or giving away fry? The first set was 3 fry, but a week later another 20+ were swimming around. I have moved them to a breeder net, but they will overwhelm my tank. I am going to need to get rid of some and probably move my male away from the females. I want to leave them freely in the tank and the strong survive, but this is my first set and I couldn't do it. Wondering if the LFS will buy them back or take them back if they overtake my tanks. Maybe the thrifty nickel?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most fish stores will only take them when they reach the size of the ones they sell in the store. Some will take them as feeders tho. Or you could just let them go in the tank it sounds bad but it's good for the fish in your tank haha.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore! Glad the Mollys are doing well for you.
Some stores will trade them for supplies but won't give you much. You just have to check with them.
carol

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My fish store takes them back whenever and they say that the bigger they are the more i will get for them, but if they are to small they use them as feeder fish.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could put an add on craigslit and maybe you'll find someone who keeps predatory fish that will want a regular supply.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've read here that Petco will take them for free. One of my LFS will give 1/3 retails value in store credit, but since common livebearers are so cheap, that isn't make much.

I've got 5 fry I'm not sure what to do with and I can't do anything with them until they show their sex.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads