Selling Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Baba B, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Baba B

Baba BNew MemberMember

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this post. Moderators feel free to move it if it should go somewhere else.

So, I live in China. I have only recently gotten into the hobby, and am noticing something already. I can get fish for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than people do in the West. Looking at the  , I can get pretty much everything on there for less than half of what they are asking. That's not even wholesale price for me, just what I'd pay at the LFS. So I'm thinking why don't I buy fish for cheap, and sell them online to Westerners for better prices than they are paying now?

Has anyone here done this before? Would tariffs and fees and such kill my profits? Can you even ship live fish internationally? Any advice or thoughts people could provide on this idea would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. AichmalotizoWell Known MemberMember

Shipping costs would do you in. It costs around 25+ dollars to ship a fish from overseas, and then additional shipping costs in country. Money saved by purchasing them from you would be destroyed in the process of adding up shipping, and then transhipping costs.

Edit:Look up bettas on aquabid, and find one of the Thailand breeders to get an idea of the shipping costs required, and their transhippers shipping costs

Edit 2: you'd probably have better luck with plants, as they can be stay in shipping bags longer, but I still doubt it will be a get rich quick kinda thing. Gonna require serious starter capital.

3. kluggy

kluggyValued MemberMember

You would need to file for fish export licenses for each country you ship to, also the buyer needs a fish import license which in most country's isn't worth the effort and costs unless you own a chain of retail pet stores

4. AichmalotizoWell Known MemberMember

That's what the transhippers are for kluggy, or at least part of the reason.

Example: On aquabid, you can buy bettas from Thailand breeders, and they have a list of transhippers, you pick one, breeders send it to them, and then transhippers send it to you.

Good point on the export license didn't even think about that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice