Question "self contained" aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i'm not sure if i should put this here or some where else, but do you guys think its possible to have a "self contained" tank (nothing gianormous like at the Aquarium or anything, but something "home-sized")? you know, no water changes (well, maybe 2-3 times a years) or de-algeaing the glass? just feeding? its not that i wunna try it or anything, but i just wunna know what you guys think about the question.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think this is not a good idea, personally. Water changes are necessary not to just control toxins, but to replenish necessary minerals. Also, pH drops over time, and frequent water changes will help that not happen.

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the need for water changes is 100% critical!! but if ur talking hypothedically then it could be possible if you had some kind of timed transfer tank and pump system that could suck the water from the fish tank down the drain and refill its self via the transfer tank wich would have to e self filling and self adjusting to you ph and temp and what not, its possible with the right gear and a digital or computer software program and a heap of cash **** KEEP DREAMING MY FRIEND ONE DAY IT MAY EXSIST

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the need for water changes is 100% critical!! but if ur talking hypothedically then it could be possible if you had some kind of timed transfer tank and pump system that could suck the water from the fish tank down the drain and refill its self via the transfer tank wich would have to e self filling and self adjusting to you ph and temp and what not, its possible with the right gear and a digital or computer software program and a heap of cash **** KEEP DREAMING MY FRIEND ONE DAY IT MAY EXSIST
rofl

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Despite posts and rumors to the contrary, it is possible to do.

Google returns over 2.6 million results for "automated water change," many of which are forum posts outlining various systems that can either entirely automate water changes, or reduce their complexity down to the press of a button or turn of a knob/lever.

Another option is Diana Walstad's "el Natural" method of setting up a planted tank. Aquatic Eden has a good overview here, and Aquatic Plant Central has an entire subforum devoted to this method here, where Walstad herself is a frequent contributor.

Neither of these methods are foolproof, but careful planning and research can mitigate many of the "risks".

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Google returns over 2.6 million results for "automated water change," many of which are forum posts outlining various systems that can either entirely automate water changes, or reduce their complexity down to the press of a button or turn of a knob/lever.

Another option is Diana Walstad's "el Natural" method of setting up a planted tank. Aquatic Eden has a good overview here, and Aquatic Plant Central has an entire subforum devoted to this method here, where Walstad herself is a frequent contributor.

Neither of these methods are foolproof, but careful planning and research can mitigate many of the "risks".
dang i was pretty quick to shut that idea down old mate is right heres one i found that despite my negativity towards the idea im gonna have a go at building http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/63801-easy-diy-automatic-water-change-system.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

thats just cool. i wonder how she figured all that out? i guess lots of experimenting, huh?

@ UNTAMEDlore~ lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom