Self Cleaning Fish Tank

Jomolager

Today at Costco. $49.99. 3 gallons.

image.jpg
Couldn't attach all pictures. Trying again

Dolfan

Photo attachment in 2nd post doesn't work for me. I love Costco but I hope they aren't misleading the public and selling a bad product.

Jomolager

My sentiments exactly. Will try again. There are three pictures together. They have plants growing on top, on the outside

image.jpg

Third try with a third picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 448

Dolfan

Oh I have seen those online before, they seem like a neat idea for bettas perhaps, but not cool to market them as "self cleaning". Cool way to have a little herb garden in kitchen. But we all know 6 little plants won't "clean" out the water completely.

Lucy

The tank must work.
Look how happy that fish in the first picture is.

Danjamesdixon

I did a unI project on this, back before I had a decent knowledge of aquatics - now of course I realize it's just another marketing gimmick

Jomolager

The tank is acrylic, the top is white plastic. It contains gravel, organic seeds and a coupon for Betta.

We need laws to protect the ignorant and innocent from inscrutable crooks!

toosie

OMG Jomolager! You had me scared there for a second! I was actually silly enough to think you had bought one! Boy, were you in for a...forced self-control... lecture. (sigh of relief!)

Anders247

I've seen this before, it seems like a good idea. My petco actually had one with a betta in it, it looked pretty cool.

Dolfan

I think the idea of it is very good. It should just get treated no different than any other 3 gallon aquarium for a betta. Water changes still need to be done weekly. Obviously some décor would be nice inside the tank, rather then just a big open space and gravel. The "self cleaning" part would be very misleading to the average non aquarium person, that is the frustrating part.

junebug

The tanks are actually neat. My main problem with them is that they tend to encourage people to substitute a few herbs for water changes, and that they are so darn expensive. I'm sorry, we're talking about a 3 gallon plastic tank here with no filter.

Rather than buy one, I'm making a whole fishroom full of them... lol.

Thai Aquarium owner

These tanks are called " self cleaning ", and to a certain extent, they are - but only to a certain degree.
The fish in the tank will produce waste which is converted into Nitrates which the plants they absorb through the roots.
This is a scaled down version of something called " Aquaphonics " - a variant of " Hydrophonics ", where the fish are used as the source of neutriants for the plants.
However, I would hold reservations about this kind of mixing of 2 very complicated processes ( Fish and Aquaculture ), as the balance between the 2 would be critical to either the life of the fish, or the plants.

Jomolager

I don't think one male betta will produce enough waste to sustain one plant, let alone several they have pictured.

Anders247

Yeah, probably not.

junebug

These tanks are called " self cleaning ", and to a certain extent, they are - but only to a certain degree.
The fish in the tank will produce waste which is converted into Nitrates which the plants they absorb through the roots.
This is a scaled down version of something called " Aquaphonics " - a variant of " Hydrophonics ", where the fish are used as the source of neutriants for the plants.
However, I would hold reservations about this kind of mixing of 2 very complicated processes ( Fish and Aquaculture ), as the balance between the 2 would be critical to either the life of the fish, or the plants.

Hydroponics is pretty common, at least over here in the states. I'm setting up a hydroponic fishroom. There are many hydroponic farms in appropriate climates.

This is the same basic principle as a Walstad aquarium, so it's actually extremely common all over the world, just perhaps not in this exact manifestation.

Jomolager

Hydroponics is pretty common, at least over here in the states. I'm setting up a hydroponic fishroom. There are many hydroponic farms in appropriate climates.

This is the same basic principle as a Walstad aquarium, so it's actually extremely common all over the world, just perhaps not in this exact manifestation.

I got the Walstad book for Christmas. It is the next book on my list Just have to finish the almost thousand page book, that did not grab me, for the bookclub.

lopez18

if goldfish could live like bettas they could support more than 2 plants there poop machines

Jomolager

if goldfish could live like bettas they could support more than 2 plants there poop machines

I use my Goldie's poop to fertilize my plants, my plants like it.

Thai Aquarium owner

Aquaponics is quite a common thing here, where tanks of " Tim-Tam " fish are really overcrowded to produce fish for market, and the waste is then pumped onto land for the cultivation of mainly vegetables.
This process seems to work well, but it is on a commercial scale, and I doubt very much that it would work so well with a small 1.4 gallon tank.

junebug

The tank is 3 gallons....

However it's probably moot in this case, as tanks this size are only suited to fish and shrimp that don't produce enough waste to fertilize plants, and if they're overstocked, the plants in the top likely won't do anything to clean the water.

Mamajin

I have a silly question (because I do not have any planted tanks); isn't that the same principal as a planted tank where you don't have to do water changes? I remember someone jumping on me once because I suggested a water change, and they yelled at me saying it was a planted tank and you're not supposed to. What about Walstad?

I find this thread interesting, so I'm asking in order to learn.

junebug

I have a silly question (because I do not have any planted tanks); isn't that the same principal as a planted tank where you don't have to do water changes? I remember someone jumping on me once because I suggested a water change, and they yelled at me saying it was a planted tank and you're not supposed to. What about Walstad?

I find this thread interesting, so I'm asking in order to learn.

It's the exact same thing, except it won't work as well in this kind of tank, because it can only house a betta safely. Betta's bioload would require fertilization for plants. The other fish that would be appropriate bioload-wise for the plants would overstock the tank, thus creating bad water conditions since the plants couldn't keep up in only 3 gallons of water.

Whoever yelled at you for suggesting a water change should be smacked. We all do water changes, even in planted tanks, to introduce fresh water and re-introduce minerals. Even if it's only every few months, it's necessary. And it's necessary intermittently for a variety of reasons, including things just getting out of whack from overfeeding or similar.

jetajockey

Seems cool in principle, but is not going to work well in practice. There are a few of these little systems out there now but I look at them as novelty at best.

junebug

I look at them as a slight possibility of me keeping herbs alive, which I certainly couldn't do if there wasn't a fish involved LOL.

I can only keep plants alive if they coincide with me caring for an animal with the same requirements.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jjohnwm
Replies
Views
Glofish
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Replies