Question Selectively Breeding Guppies

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is long road .
Crossing more then just 2 could be longer or more tanks .
Like said pick what you want to see and choose the offspring that are going that way.
You could start with pair of endlers /gupps and a separate of endler tiger gupps then cross what you get from them together...
Need tanks ,time and some way to keep track and separate the fry and original breeding pairs IMO.

OP
WinterSoldier.

WinterSoldier.

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You don't see endler guppy hybrids selling for much. I think people are going back to more of the old pure strains.
I have two endlers, one is a former feeder fish who I nursed back to health, and the other is a lyre tail male. They don't seem interested in each other so my only hope is if the feederfish endler's babies breed with the lyre tail. And since the feeder fish strain is super inbred I have no idea what to do other than that

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You will have your work cut out for you trying to get a mutt breeding pure. I think the part of it price wise at least is anybody can dump them together in a tank and they will breed some interesting looking fish. Healthy and pretty but still mutts.

OP
WinterSoldier.

WinterSoldier.

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You will have your work cut out for you trying to get a mutt breeding pure. I think the part of it price wise at least is anybody can dump them together in a tank and they will breed some interesting looking fish. Healthy and pretty but still mutts.
I am planning to add some stronger blood the the strain in the form of a couple of new non inbred endlers

And then i am going to do fancy guppies as well

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its definitely fun to do. I think I had 6 20 gallon tanks of guppies going at one point and a hungry oscar for the culls.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most is already being said overhere...
But only looking at the phenotypical traits doesn't guarantee the outcome. You should know as well if the phenotypical traits are also genotypical before you are able to work with it. For instance, a phenotypical black guppy doesn't have to be genotypically black.

HeiLong

Reaction score
Mmmm....Okay.....I am just looking for something interesting to sell for a jacked up price, something that you won't seen in a petstore everyday
That’s not how that works

Anyone can throw multi color fish in an enclosure and get a random arguably cool fish 1 time

New rare (relatively) high dollar fish are that way because they are a stable line that breeds true

There is a reason there are something around I’d say 30 known lines (cobra, dumbo mosaic, yin yang blah blah blah) and not 1000s of lines

If someone’s going to pay money, they expect it to throw 99.9% of the same fish forever.

They expect thousands of almost identical babies and that takes years of detailed work and even then sometimes we see years down the line some anomaly or diversion and then it’s just hoping

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom