Selective breeding

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Kull1337, Jul 20, 2015.

1. K

Kull1337 New Member Member

Hey all, new to the forum but not new to breeding, haven't done any selective breeding yet though. I have a nice strain of metallic blue guppies and just picked up some black moscows. The question is mainly, if I want to give the Metallics a nice black body and keep a blue / aoc tail, would the black moscows be right or which sex should I be breeding with who? Male metallic with black female or other way around? Confused with genetics ! Any help would be great thanks! I have some good pics but not sure how to post them yet...

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Hi there and welcome!

Not many of us breed guppies the way you're talking. We just get a line and line breed from there. I did, however, do quite a bit of research on what I might do to create my own guppy line, so I can offer a little advice :)

It sounds like what you want is a Blue tux, is that right? If you want to introduce that coloring to your guppy line, I would locate a line of blue/green tux guppies that breeds 100% true and cross them into your solid blue metallics. Raise the fry separately and select your F2 generation for coloration. Sibling crosses and paternal backcrosses would both work for getting F3. With any luck, continuing this method, you could end up with AOC blue tux guppies in a few generations. Depending on the exact color distribution you're looking for, half black blue gups would also be a potential cross you might want to look at.

I would also suggest finding an online community of show guppy breeders. Those guys really know their stuff and know more about guppy genetics (which are insanely complicated) than most of us ever will :)

Oh and also, to post your pics, use the "manage attachments" button on a new thread, or open "more reply options" in a reply to access that same screen.

3. OP
    OP
    K

So it won't let me post pics cuz their too big which I can resize them some other time but here's a link to the metallic blues I have, and the other of multiple males is what I'm aiming for. The metallic is my newest breeder I've chosen.  

4. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

I love the blue on those guppies! Nice color choice

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

6. junebug

It seems like what you're looking for is half black blues with a very specific blue coloration.

I would suggest getting in contact with some folks who breed for show with the IFGA. They have a facebook page and could probably tell you there what genetics you should look for in an outcross.

7. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

well, lol angelsplus.com has all blue and all green guppies for sale. Also, i would seriously consider looking up stan shubel and get one of his solid color lines. Many in the guppy hobby consider him a great breeder. My dad claims to have beaten him before in a omaha or lincoln show back in the day, and gave me his book to read proper care of guppies or something. He lives in michigan and has a website stan shubel where you can buy his guppies but beware, they can run a fortune for such show fish!
    There is a guy in south africa that reguraly uses the black moscow females for breeding. I guess thats what your asking, and i would just assume they keep a nice dark purplish color, but you would probably loose your metallic outline and all that. They would get dark coloration.

8. OP
    OP
    K

Yeah so that's mostly what I was wondering, I'd like to try with the black moscows but didn't know which way to go male to female, I guess I can try it both ways and see how it goes lol. I have Virgin females of both varieties that will be of breeding age pretty soon. The blue and black variegated color on the tail with the maybe 3/4 black body is what I really want.

I will also check out the Facebook page mentioned and ask around a little see if I can get any other tips.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  9. junebug

Black moscows are not especially likely to give the color distribution you're looking for. And the tail will change, Moscow genes tend to throw moscow tails.

10. OP
    OP
    K

Lame I was really hoping for the variegated blue and black colors... I guess I really just have no clue what I'm doing haha but I know what I want! Oh well Guess I'll see what comes out the other end I'm sure I won't be super disappointed I think both are great looking fish.

11. junebug

There are ways to get what you want, but I don't think breeding a solid black to a solid blue will get you the color distribution you're looking for. You can always grow out the fry though and choose ones with less and less black coloring for future matches.

Regardless, you're right :) They are nice fish and I'm sure you'll get some really nice offspring from them. Hope you're planning to sell some on Fishlore!

12. OP
    OP
    K

I've never sold on this site but I have been selling on ebay. I sold a young pair and 6 fry last week for 70! People seem to buy em up pretty fast.

13. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

wait, i just looked at the pics. Those are purebreed. I hope you mean like crossing some of them and keeping some pure!

14. OP
    OP
    K

Yes of course I'll be running the Metallics and also blacks seperate and crossing a few of them :) I love the Metallics their very beautiful but I want to try to get something else going with them as well .

15. OP
    OP
    K

Also I had a question about tanks for breeding this new cross. I have 2 - 10 gallons, 2 - 30 gallons, and a 20 long. Each can be divided however need be. Any suggestions on what I should be doing with dividers and what space is needed for each group of females, males, and fry for proper growth and development?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice