selection of a lion

davyjones15

hI everyone i'm new to the forums. I am going to upload pictures of my tank and its inhabitants tommorrow. I am not to sure how this forum works, but I think if you click on my name, you can look at the fish in my tank, and the pictures...anyway.. I was looking at adding a lion but wasn't sure which. I wanted a lion that was hardy and could hold his own against other fish. I was looking at either the volitans, russells, or antenneta? has anyone had experince with them? did you ever have them sting other fish? thanks again...sorry for the long introarky

sgould

I have kept a dwarf lion for some time now, never a full sized one, but the recommendations I have read all indicate basically the same thing...tank mates need to be MINIMUM of half the lion's size (and I personally feel safer with even bigger...say 3/4) in order to avoid becoming lunch. The good news is that tank mates that are large enough to not be looked upon as food seem to be of very little interest to the lion and are left in peace.

Hypnox

Long intro's are perfectly alright. It also looks like sgould has already filled you in on the information.

Welcome to fishlore!

ericjn05

I am actually looking into the same thing, I have a want for this beautiful black vol, but I am a little paraniod on lionfish because the last one I tried to put into my tank randomly died not even a night after I got it... All my other fish were fine I think it was a stress factor and my porc puffer always checks out the new fish just to see what they are, I know this isn't an answer but I too am looking to finish my tank with a lion of my own. Should I go with a full grown to maybe lesson the stress by the other fish?????

Aquarist

Welcome to Fish Lore! Beautiful tank!

Matt

Welcome To Fishlore

-Matt

bettafish2816

welcome!

cerianthus

Go with Large specimen such as Volitans (Red/Black) since have Niger and Humahuma Trigger.
That's nice Majestic Angel in transition from Juvie to Adult coloration.
Wondering any quarrel b/n foxfaces which I've experienced from time to time but not always.
Nice looking tank!

How about Bamboo shark/Egg in Capsule? Hatch it at home. Maybe not a best choice for HumaHuma but cool to watch them developing from egg to shark in capsule and may involve yourself in hatching. Definitely easier to feed when hatched at home. Have done it many time w/ few different specimen of bamboo/horned shark.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
lil0618
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
  • Question
Replies
Views
mrsP
Replies