Selecting Filter - Can I Get An In-tank Filter?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by filtered_light, Jul 11, 2017.

1. filtered_light

filtered_lightValued MemberMember

Hi! I am looking for advice on filters for my future tank, particularly, in-tank filters. I'm planning a 28 US Gal acrylic hex (clear-for-life brand, 18" x 21"x 20"), which will be a home for freshwater tropicals, starting with my peppered corys.

One of the reasons I am super excited to try the acrylic tank is I had a glass tank crack and flood a room many years ago. I strongly want to avoid floods on my ancient wood floors. Also the acrylic hex has kind of a small opening on top which makes it seem like it would be hard to fit a hanging filter on. For those 2 reasons, I am thinking in-tank filter would be ideal, but I have never used anything like that.

Are there in-tank filters suitable for 28g? Would they be able to build a good bacterial colony, or not enough air? Would the flow be too strong for neons or other little tetras?

2. tocandesu

tocandesuWell Known MemberMember

I think a Fluval U3 or U4 could work pretty well. You can pick between a spraybar or a directed nozzle.

A canister might work as well, if you are really worried about not having enough space for media.

3. OP
    OP
    filtered_light

filtered_lightValued MemberMember

Thanks! I don't really know if I should be worried or not... does anyone have thoughts about in-tank filters and biological filtration? I am asking because I had an impression that the bacteria need some media that is exposed to air, but I'm not experienced with submersed filters, so I might be way off base.

4. tocandesu

tocandesuWell Known MemberMember

The Fluval U series has a section for biomax which is the same thing Aquaclear/Fluval uses in all their filters. So biologically it should work with tetras. However, I don't have any actual experiences, unfortunately.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice