Seiryu stone in soft water

Bettanewb78
I recently set up a new 29g with seiryu stone from petco. I've been warned about my gh & kh skyrocketing, I've been testing regularly, every other day or so and haven't seem much of a change, my kh has increased from 1° to 2 or 3° and gh has gone from 2° to 3 or 4° (I'm using my tap water as a base) over the last 10 day. How long should I continue this testing regime? Also, since my water is pretty soft, is the seiryu stone actually beneficial? I've attached a pic of the tank. I have seiryu in the middle, a large piece and a few small pieces on the side, plus some slate to help hold back the gravel. Under the gravel is fluval stratum and in the front I have fine sand.

I'm also wondering if it's safe to take out the spare sponge filter I used to help cycle the tank, I know this isn't the board for cycling and I will ask elsewhere also. I put in 2 established sponge filters, one hooked to airline and the other just sitting there. I wanted to take one out to put in my new betta set up but I plan on adding my 12 pygmy corys into this 29 g and not sure if the 10 days it's been set up will handle that.

I will also take any aquascaping tips or advice. Thanks!!

jtjgg
i don't think the stone will dissolve fast enough to make things skyrocket. especially if you're doing weekly water changes, you're adding soft water every week.

i would suggest testing right before and after you do your weekly water change. this way you can see how much the pH, GH, and KH fluctuates each week.

you can remove one sponge filter and test ammonia and nitrite for the next few days to see if it remains 0, 0

Bettanewb78
Thank you, I'll try that! Someone on reddit gave me a dire warning but it sounded like they were already working with hard water.

Top Bottom