Seen Worms During Water Change

Mohammed Itfaq

Reaction score
Hello all

I was doing a water change today and have seen these tiny worms moving at the bottom of the siphoned bucket. Can anyone firstly tell me if they are harmful to the fish

Or secondly have I seen these worms because I am.treating the tan with paraguard removing the carbon cartride

And can anybody recognise what type of worms they are??

Attachments

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am thinking they are probably detritus worms and are totally harmless to your fish. There is usually a whole microscopic world living in a healthy tank. In this case these worms are getting enough food trapped in the substrate to breed and multiply. They normally feed on leftover food. Keeping the substrate vacuumed should keep them either under control or gone.

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look a little thick and peach colored to me.. like planaria. It's hard to tell without an up close picture though. If they don't look like that up close then it's probably detritus worms like mattgirl said.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could be right @Ravynn I noticed the color but it is hard to tell without a close up of an individual worm so assumed detritus.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mohammed Itfaq said:
I have seen these snice taking out the carbon cartridge has this had a affect or just a case of food falling in the substrate causing a rise
I don't think removing the carbon would be causing it. I feel sure it is from excess food in the substrate.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Someone that knows more about worms than I do will have to help you out here. That biggest one in the second photo actually looks like some kind of fish fry to me but maybe there are some kind of worms that look like that.

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't see the head shape but the 2nd picture makes me think planaria.

user36852_pic10491_1302110172_large.jpg

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Those are too big to be detritus worms.
Detritus worms are almost hair like.
I agree with Ravynn, those look like planaria.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look like leeches to me. If they contract when they're disturbed and get long when they're not, they're probably leeches. If so, cleaning out the substrate should clear them out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom