seems as if its not one thing its another

Discussion in 'Redlessi' started by redlessi, Mar 15, 2010.

1. redlessi

redlessiWell Known MemberMember

As most of you know, I have treated my 72 gal for camallanus worms twice. Now it seems as if there is some kind of fungus or something.

Yesterday, I noticed a platy with clamped fins bouncing around the bottom of the tank. It was dead this morning.

Today one of the neons has a white fuzzy cottony patch near its tail and one of the platys has a small fuzzy dot on its tail.

I am getting tired of this tank. I do weekly 40% water changes with aggressive gravel vacuuming. My water params are 0, 0, 10 and crystal clear. I have 2 aquaclear 110's running.

I love the fish but it seems no matter what I do, Its always something:;fru:;fru.

I just treated with maracyn plus. I am almost ready to tear the tank down and forget about it.:;fru

:;dkAny suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong or what is happening would be welcomed.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

What is the stock? i know its probably in your aquarium info, but im on a phone...

3. OP
    OP
    redlessi

5 green corys, 7 neon tetras, 6 black skirt tetras, 2 platys, 3 angels, 1 bolivian ram, 1 dwarf gourami, and 1 otto.

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I'm so sorry, Reds. Hang in there and we're all hoping your tank issues get resolved soon:;hug2

5. Jaysee

Im stumped....

6. bubblefishValued MemberMember

Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. Hang in there. You'll need to keep a close watch on the water parameters as Maracyn plus kills the cycle pretty quick. You probably already know this. Hang in there, you'll get through this.

7. OP
    OP
    redlessi

Argh!!! I am starting to hate this tank. Today another platy is pineconing and laying on the bottom of the tank.

My water params are still 0, 0, 10. I dont think I am going to continue the maracyn plus as the other fish seem fine with the exception of the platy and the one neon.

Any suggestions are more than welcomed...................

8. Jaysee

Not trying to start a debate, but I'm at a different place when it comes to sick fish. If it were my tank, I would remove and destroy sick fish as soon as they are identified as such. The only reason I am making such a drastic suggestion is because you cannot identify the problem, and I think it'll get things under control....one way or another.

Large, frequent water changes are always beneficial. At the first sign of trouble I start with the water changes...usually does the trick.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  9. OP
    OP
    redlessi

Thanks Jaysee, I am tending to agree with you on this one. I dont know if its out of frustration or fear but I would hate to see my fish die one at a time, especially since I have not identified any specific problems.

Last night I noticed one of my corys has a white patch on its head.

I will see what happens when I get home from work.

10. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

I agree with this. When it's something identifiable, such as ich, I will treat the tank. But something I can't figure out that's making the fish drop like flies? I do remove the sick fish for the good of the tank as a whole.

And personally? I never had luck with maracyn. Never. Any fish I treated with it still died. And that was in a hospital tank, not a main tank.

11. ray_sjValued MemberMember

Sorry to hear about your sick tank. :(

When you do water changes, does the new water have the same pH as the tank water? Since you are doing large water changes, if the source water is very different, it may cause rapid pH swings which stress your fish.

12. OP
    OP
    redlessi

The ph is basically the same or as close as it gets.

Thanks

13. bubblefishValued MemberMember

14. OP
    OP
    redlessi

The second platy is gone. Now its just the neon with the white patch on the tail and the cory with the white patch on its head.

I will try to get them out of the tank tomorrow during water change as I dont want to risk the whole tank go down one at a time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice