Seem Some Gorgeous Red Bellies In Store But Are They Healthy?

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Proper stunning fish. Each one was about 8-12 inches long and super thick. They was marked as jumbo piranhas. Probably over 3" thick each one.

The tank looked about 20-30g maybe a little more or less and contained about 4-6 of these large piranhas. They was that large that they only had an inch or two to turn around in the tank.

They didn't look so healthy though. They was all sat on the bottom of the tank hugged up next to each other. Some of them seemed to have fast breathing. But the tank looked spotless and every other tank in the shop was well kept. All the other fish they was selling looked healthy.

Do you think these guys are just new in and scared?

They was 3 for £120 if that makes any difference.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From my understanding, piranhas are naturally nervous fish and most that keep them seem to suggest that there behaviour is rather boring.... i wonder if its that behaviour that you noted....

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are many species of Piranha with red bellies, a couple of the bigger ones are in Genus Pygocentrus. These tend to be the very aggressive species in the wild.

I would imagine that being jammed into a small tank has them very nervous. Piranha need a lot of swimming room. Give them adequate space and they are anything but boring.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom