Seem odd? Question

1. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

So I just tested my tap and aquarium water side by side which I normally do a few times a year. However these results are a little different than I remember. This time I wrote them down to confirm later.

Tap= gh 53.7 ppm, kh 35.8 ppm, Ph 6.8 or 7.0 hard to tell, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.

Tank= gh 89.5 ppm, kh 53.7 ppm, Ph 6.8, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.0 ppm.

Is it common in a planted tank with no rock for the gh and kh to be higher than the tap? In this case I like the change but it seems odd?

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

CO2 would/could affect KH.

GH could be fert's.

And phosphates can play a part as well (IIRC).

I think it's normal to see a variation. (Assuming of course, you let the tap water sit for 24 hours to reach equilibrium)

3. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

No I prime the water directly into the tank. Can't trust a bucket of water sitting around with toddlers.

4. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

Hmm maybe I should let some tap water sit for 24 hours in a cup and re test.

After years of fish keeping I still feel like a noob sometimes :)

5. ryanr

:) I meant the sample of tap water you tested. Did you let it sit?

EDIT: :;nin2 there's my answer :giggle:

6. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

:p

7. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

several top offs in a row without a good water change will cause gh to climb

8. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

Did a 75 percent change a week ago.

It seems I can't really have acidic water with a kh at 4. From what I've read so far when you raise kh it also raised Ph. I'm trying to keep my Amazon tank slightly acidic but I would like the safety of buffering.

Choices, choices.

9. ryanr

Ahh yes, the old KH/pH relationship. You can not naturally raise KH without impacting pH. You can do it with commercial products though :)

You have two options from Seachem (others will disagree with this approach):
    Mixing Discus Buffer with Neutral Regulator: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/DiscusBuffer.html
    Mixing Acid Buffer with Alkaline Buffer: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/AlkalineBuffer.html

The latter of the two (Acid/Alk) is a phosphate free method (I use these two for my planted tank)

10. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

Ryan, you da man

11. ryanr

:)

I use the Acid/Alk mix at the 1:2 ratio, I get a pH of around 7.2.

12. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

I may try discuss buffer to keep it acidic and still have a safe kh. Maybe I'll test it in a 10 gallon with some serpaes

My new tank will be so much easier with the hi oxygen Zaire biotope.