Seeking opinions on Keyhole for my tank

Discussion in 'Keyhole Cichlid' started by OhMyGoshman, Mar 23, 2010.

1. OhMyGoshman

OhMyGoshmanNew MemberMember

I was thinking about adding some Keyhole Cichlids to my 30 gallon tank, I wanted to get the biggest fish I could without getting the rest of my fish terrorized. I was not sure if any of my fish would be too small to have with a Keyhole. I also wasn't sure if I should get a single one or get a pair because I read they get mildly aggressive when breeding and I don't want any of my other fish taking a beating, but I also don't want a lonely fish. Anyone have any experience with Keyholes?

2. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Your stock list looks excellent for keyholes IMO. I used to have a couple and they were very mellow fish. Mine never spawned or anything, but I don't think it would be a problem for you if they did.

3. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I agree with Harpua. I had a spawning pair in a 45gal with Rasboras, Tetras & Corys & never had any aggression issues so long as the other fish stayed away, (which they did). I think you would be better off with just a single Keyhole though given the tank size.

4. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

And I agree with Nutter on keeping only one keyhole. It will be fine by itself. Your tank mates are perfect for a keyhole, but somehow I forgot to take into account how many fish you have in your tank, lol. :p