Seeking opinions on Keyhole for my tank

Discussion in 'Keyhole Cichlid' started by OhMyGoshman, Mar 23, 2010.

1. O

OhMyGoshman New Member Member

I was thinking about adding some Keyhole Cichlids to my 30 gallon tank, I wanted to get the biggest fish I could without getting the rest of my fish terrorized. I was not sure if any of my fish would be too small to have with a Keyhole. I also wasn't sure if I should get a single one or get a pair because I read they get mildly aggressive when breeding and I don't want any of my other fish taking a beating, but I also don't want a lonely fish. Anyone have any experience with Keyholes?

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Your stock list looks excellent for keyholes IMO. I used to have a couple and they were very mellow fish. Mine never spawned or anything, but I don't think it would be a problem for you if they did.

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Harpua. I had a spawning pair in a 45gal with Rasboras, Tetras & Corys & never had any aggression issues so long as the other fish stayed away, (which they did). I think you would be better off with just a single Keyhole though given the tank size.

4. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

And I agree with Nutter on keeping only one keyhole. It will be fine by itself. Your tank mates are perfect for a keyhole, but somehow I forgot to take into account how many fish you have in your tank, lol. :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice