Seeking High Ammonia Producing Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Eve1331, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Eve1331New MemberMember

Looking for high ammonia producing fish that can be kept in something as small as a 55 up to 250. I would prefer hardier than not and breeding possibility would be nice as well. I am currently pretty much thinking its a chichlid but i'm having trouble deciding. also temp would be 78-80 with ph at 7.0-7.2

2. ZahcWell Known MemberMember

Why are you just wanting fish that produce high amounts of ammonia ?

Large cichlids and catfish/plecos would probably produce the most. Oscar size and up will have massive bio loads. Every one of my plecos poo constantly. It depends on what the exact tank size you are talking about. 55-250G is a huge difference in size and possibilities.

Welcome to Fishlore BTW!

3. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

What about a pleco? They can grow huge and be really happy in a 250..

4. Eve1331New MemberMember

Thanks so much ^_^. So I have a couple of 55's, a 90, and a 250 most are empty and I love the science behind the symbiotic relationship between fish, beneficial bacteria and plants. I want to grow fruits, vegetable and herbs using fish waste. Could I run a tank with just plecos? Also which large chichlid did you have in mind.

5. BluePsionValued MemberMember

At 250 gallons you are almost looking at an aquaponic setup. Have you thought about growing out some tilapia for example? The tilapia is a cichlid and .. also delicious!

Goldfish are beautiful and produce a lot of waste. They are also easy on the budget.

6. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Most aquaponic set ups use Sarotherodon sp, a group within the Tilipia umbrella that are hardy, herbivorous and grow fast while breeding like rumours. Just getting a general Tilapia could get you an aggressive fish that would reduce bioload through violence.
    I grow Basil with one of my growout tanks, with low waste producing killies in large numbers. It works.

7. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore

First, there is not a symbiotic relationship between fish, BB and plants. A symbiotic relationship is defined as
    "involving interaction between two different organisms living in close physical association"
    "denoting a mutually beneficial relationship between different people or groups."
    "living in  , or having an interdependent relationship"
    source is various, but meaning remains the same

For a symbiotic relationship, both parties must benefit, and when it comes to aquaria, ammonia is everyone's "enemy".
    In a planted tank, the plants will uptake ammonia (ammonium) preferably to nitrate, but it's not symbiotic.

SW is the best example of symbiosis I know of....But I haven't (yet) seen symbiosis in FW aquaria. It probably exists, but I'm not aware of it

I guess, I'm just trying to understand why you want ammonia, it's not beneficial to any aquatic organism (that I know of)

8. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Beneficial bacteria live on ammonia, and convert it into nitrate that plants in turn absorb . This is a symbiotic relationship to me. Ammonia is no enemy to bacteria, without it bacteria will die.
    My wife uses my waste water for her vegetable garden. I'd suggest gold fish and plecos. There the highest waste producers I can think of.

9. BluePsionValued MemberMember

Even though the word wasn't used in the technically right way, I believe it was clear what eve was looking for and why. Fish waste -> Nitrates in order to feed plants!

10. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

It would have to be something that eats a lot of animal protein so goldfish and plecos are out. Processed food such as pellets are probably not going to produce as much ammonia as live food or raw meat.

11. danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

I would have to agree that goldfish have the highest waste. It's not recommended to put them in a tank with other fish because of the high amount of ammonia they produce, that and they like the water cooler than most and other fish would die from freezing if the ammonia didn't do them in first.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice