Seeking advice

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by My-Menagerie, Dec 10, 2012.

1. My-MenagerieNew MemberMember

So, a few things...

First: I have a 5gl aquarium with 3 ADF and an apple snail. This apple snail must be lazy. Algae is overrunning the tank! The walls of the tank are getting more and more green bloches on it, and my snail spends most of his time clean the rocks not the walls... any way to encourage him to clean the glass? If not, what critter could I add to the tank that would clean it without running over the 1 inch of fish per 1gl rule?

Second: I have a 3gl tank with a moss rock, and 5 adult pond snails, and about 50 baby snails. Would getting a betta for this tank keep the pond snails in check, and be a healthy environment for the betta? (I had a Betta before but I cept him in a 5gl with a filter)

Third: In my 10 gl tank I have 2 kuhli loaches, a zebra snail, and 3 ghost shrimp. Would adding a third Loach be to much for the tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  2. tress29Valued MemberMember

I never heard of a betta eating pond snails. I pick them out of my son's 10g and feed them to my dwarf puffer!

3. mosaicguppyWell Known MemberMember

Have you tested the water? How often do you do water changes? First identify the type of algae you're seeing then try to identify what's causing so much algae to grow, it could be that you're overfeeding and not keeping up with your water changes and if the problem is not fixed, the algae will continue to grow. A 5 gallon tank is small and I can't think of any fish small enough you can add to help get rid of the algae but try using a toothbrush to gently scrub the algae off the glass and doing a few more water changes. :)

4. OP
    OP
    M

My-MenagerieNew MemberMember

Yeah, I've got some other fish, that I transfer over to that tank, they love them, but they can't live in that tank long term. I'm a little worried that moving them into that tank, then back to their tank, will stress them to much, thus the looking for something that will pertinently live in that tank and keep them in check.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice