Seeking Advice On 20 Gal Tall Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by coogfishlvr, Aug 5, 2017.

1. coogfishlvrNew MemberMember

WIN_20170805_13_13_45_Pro.jpgWIN_20170805_13_14_39_Pro.jpg I have a 20 gal tall tank that I am setting up again and I wanted to do a possible silent cycle, so I'm looking to see if what I have right now is sufficient and what else I might need to do.

Equipment:
    20 g tall, Fluval aquaclear 50, Fluval 100W heater, Aqueon 18" T8 floramax (15W)

Substrate:
    1 15 lb bag flourite, 1-2 in gravel (medium size?)

Plants:
    4 El nino ferns (not sure how well these will do one has leaves that are looking a bit too light green pic included), 2 "compact" amazon swords, 3 windelov javas, mini dwarf hairgrass spaced throughout

1 piece mopani wood (boiled prior to placement), various small stones

Water parameters after 12 hrs: pH 7.8, Ammo 1 ppm, NitrIte 0 ppm, NitrAte 5 ppm

I was thinking of getting some water wisteria to act as a faster,leafier plant in addition to some root tabs, would both of these be good? Also, in regards to lighting I am not sure if the single bulb will be enough for the plants, but am trying to stay low-tech since this is a beginner-ish tank, so I don't really want to need CO2. I also have one female sword who seems to be a bit aggressive possibly because she has been alone for a long time, but she is in a very small tank at the moment waiting to be (possibly) moved to the larger tank when it is ready...any ideas on adding other fish with her when cycle is complete?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to be detailed and get set-up the best I can. :)
    Thank you in advance!

2. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

What is your ammonia source in this tank? Do you have any ammonia or nitrates in your water source?

I could be wrong but I've read El nino ferns aren't fully aquatic.

Is the other tank that the sword is in cycled? If so, you could have just moved it over to this one for an instant cycle by transferring the media from the tank she's in. However, I think a 20g is still too small for a swordtail. I don't know if I'd any more fish to the tank. A tank that's too small for the fish you have will just increase the aggression.

3. OP
    OP
    c

coogfishlvrNew MemberMember

Thank you for the response! I truly appreciate your help, everything I have read is a lot to take in and contradictory at times, so it gets confusing especially since everyone has different things going on with their set-ups.

We just moved so I had to break down the 20 gal and it was only keeping the swordtail alive and she seems to make it through anything (1st improperly cycled tank, then a move and more bad cycling, then being alone for a year plus bc she outlived everyone, now a second move). The small tank she is in is not cycled, but she seems to be building some bacteria there. I did a big water change for her the other day and her ammonia was down considerably this morning (4 ppm to 0.25 ppm I think) and nitrIte was up to 5 ppm and nitrAte was at 10 ppm. She had a to have a home and all I had was my 2.5 gal :( Will be doing another water change to help with getting that straight ...or maybe should I move her to the 20 since she seems to be so sturdy? Do you think the aggression is coming from her being solitary for so long or does she need another sword or two to help?

It seems everyone is divided on the El nino ferns...won't be too sad if I lose them, but I figure they are worth a try cuz hubby liked them, hehe. Would the water wisteria be worth a shot at trying to help get the tank established, or is that too much at the moment?

I just tested my water straight from the tap and with conditioner just now:
    Ammo 1 ppm (no idea where it's from)
    NitrIte 0 ppm
    NitrAte tap: not quite 0, but not a true 5 on the test kit w/conditioner: pretty solid looking 5 ppm

4. el337

I would definitely move the sword over to the larger tank. The 2.5 is much too small for her. Transfer the media over and if possible, get a bottle of Seachem Stability to help cycle the tank. Do you have Prime to help detox the ammonia and nitrite until the tank is cycled?

I wouldn't add any more fish to this tank. What makes you think she's aggressive when she's been alone? Who's she being aggressive towards? :)

5. OP
    OP
    c

coogfishlvrNew MemberMember

Yeah, the 2.5 was temporary while I transferred everything to our new home, moving her over to the new tank ASAP...just didn't want to do it too soon. She has been aggressive (fin-nipping) towards her previous tank-mates , she's 2 yrs now, but lived with some other fish during her first year (couple mollies, 3 neons, male swordtail, maybe one more fish can't remember). I will pick up the prime and stability tomorrow and see how that goes. Thank you for your help :)

6. el337

In a small tank with too many inhabitants, any fish can get aggressive especially swordtails. Recommended is a 40g especially if you're going to house them with other fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice