Seeding Tank 10 Gallon Tank 

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,

I just got back from my friendly LFS, and an employee was able to give me a filter media (used) from one of his tanks. He took it out and two to three hours before giving it to me. It was wrapped up and folded and placed into a bag. I brought it home as soon as I could to prevent the bacteria from dying. I cut up little strips and put them in my filter along with my new filter media. I also put large strips in the actual tank. With what I had left, I squeezed it into the tank water. I made sure that the tank he gave it to me from was clean. After about an hour, my water is very cloudy. Is this going to be a problem?

I am doing the fishless cycle on my 10 gallon. It has been running with about 4 ppm of ammonia for over a week and it has barely dropped. I am hoping this will help speed it up. I have no heater (but live in Texas) so the temp is around 80 F. I have a Top Fin filter 10. Thanks for the help

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Generally white cloudy water is a bacterial bloom, which would be a good thing since you are trying to grow bacteria. It should clear up on it's own in a couple of days.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just curious what are you feeding it with ammonia, food, shrimp, etc.. ? That's great that they gave you some media, my LFS wouldn't do it.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am using pure ammonia from Ace hardware. So the water will clear up in a couple of days? Did I seed the tank properly?

Oh also JustinF, which LFS did you go to?

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are you from around somerset? D&L Pets, but they are moving right now so couldn't get anything till the move is done.(could be a while) I think I'll try the ammonia too next time, just wanted to see how many people use ammonia over the other ways.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No I am from Dallas. I was just wondering b/c I have also tried getting filter media from large pet stores (Petco, Petsmart, etc.) , but I found a small fish store where I got lucky.

Is it ok to leave the big filter strips in my tank like that? I just put them in there without any bag or covering? What about cloudy water? Thanks

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The cloudy water is most likely an algae bloom, just like jdhef said from what I've experienced it goes away after a few of days. (some media have a lot of debris on them and that's possible too) If there is debris on the media, stick it in a unused, unwashed, un-dyed pantyhose stocking to keep the particles from going every where. From what I've read on here once you've got a cycle it's OK to just take out the media that's in the tank, not the filter of course.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh oopps. The particles have already spread from the filter media. I think that's what made the water cloudy. Will this go away?

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah it will go away I've had that happen too. (mine spit it out of the hoses)Just put the existing media that's in the tank in the pantyhose and if you want something to help really make your water clear use floss. If you've never heard of it that would be because it's usually in canister filters, I assume you have a hang on back type? There is a way to put floss in a HOB filter but it's a little trickier. Which do you have canister or HOB?

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a hob filter. Thanks!

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think you should be fine. The cloudiness is probably just from the old media (and possibly from your filter media, if you're using ammonia resin or activated charcoal; if not rinsed a lot, it can cause cloudiness). I wouldn't worry about it, especially since, from the sound of it, you have no fish the aquarium. It should clear itself up in a few hours, maybe a day or two. Keep us updated and if it seems like it's lasting too long, we can take you through some steps to start clearing the water. For now, any of those steps would also slow the cycle down.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just one day after seeding the tank, when I came home I saw tons of bubbles on the surface of the water near the filter. I lifted up the hood and I saw water on the same side of the filter (evaporation). What does this mean? Thanks

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not sure, maybe a mod. can answer that question.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm sorry, I'm not following. I gathered that there were bubbles in the tank. That's usually not a good thing. Soap is the primary cause for bubbles, but there are other things that can cause it (many of which are not good). Are there still bubbles in the water?
Beyond that, however, I'm not getting the "water on the same side of the filter" statement. Could you elaborate, or even draw it? Thanks
Also, while all of the mods are fairly knowledgeable, I want to point out that we do not know everything, nor are we faultless. I just want to be sure that our advice is not automatically taken over other members' advice, just because of our mod status (whose primary purpose is to allow us to maintain the rules in the forum)

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I hope I didn't offend you sirdarksol, I just thought mods. where the gurus of fish.(kinda like the all knowing) I'm still learning how things work thanks for answering the question.

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well it can't be soap because I have no decorations and haven't added any decorations. Only thing I added yesterday was the soap. But here is diagram if that helps.

Attachments

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Did you say the only thing you added was soap or am I reading that wrong?

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh I am sorry, I am really tired. I made errors in 2 posts: First "water on the same side of the filter" is supposed to be "bubbles on the same side of the filter"

Second I only added the filter media I got yesterday. Boy I need a nap!

No soap!

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gotcha. Thanks for the drawing. It helps a lot.
Out of curiosity, was the filter yours originally, or did you get it used? The only reason I'm hung up on the soap thing is that it is pretty much guaranteed to kill the fish, so I want to be absolutely sure that there's absolutely no chance that any soap has come into contact with anything in the tank.

For the time being, I'd skI'm the bubbles away with a plastic cup. Before adding any fish, be sure to change all of the water out several times over. You can either start doing it now (which will slow the cycle down,) or you can do it after the tank fully cycles (which will mean a lot of work concentrated in a smaller space of time.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads