Seeding Sponge Filter

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Today is finally the day I'll be able to set up my 20 gallon long! We have the first coat of paint drying on the DIY stand and the tank is full to check for leaks. I've got an air pump and sponge filter both suitable for up to 40 gallon.

Now my question is, since I'd like to move my betta from his 9g to this tank, can I use the filter media to effectively seed the new sponge? It's a Fluval Flex so the back 2 compartments have giant sponges that a pump pulls water through into a 3rd compartment and back into the main tank area, essentially an internal filter.

Can I take the sponges out after I clean them in the old tank water and just let them sit in the new tank, or would it be better to seed the new filter while the old tank is still up?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There is no way to attach the entire filter from your 9 onto your new 20? That would give you an instant cycle. The only other thing i can think of is run your sponge filter in your 9 for a few weeks to get it seeded.

Thor555

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
There is no way to attach the entire filter from your 9 onto your new 20? That would give you an instant cycle. The only other thing i can think of is run your sponge filter in your 9 for a few weeks to get it seeded.
Yeah, I would think that would be the ideal. It's difficult to picture what kind of sponge filter OP is talking about - unless it's one of those round cylindrical ones - which is what I'm thinking. Just plop that in the new tank with the air pump.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thor555 said:
Yeah, I would think that would be the ideal. It's difficult to picture what kind of sponge filter OP is talking about - unless it's one of those round cylindrical ones - which is what I'm thinking. Just plop that in the new tank with the air pump.
But it will need to be fed from the established tank was why i suggested putting it in the 9 for a few weeks. If you add it to the new tank all it will do is clean an uncycled tank with nothing to feed on unless the OP adds a BB starter. Bottled, Pure ammonia or Fish food.

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kallililly1973 said:
Thor555 said:
So the old filter media are like big rectangles that fill the compartments, usually just one but I added another for more BB so I have 2, and the new one is a cylinder with an air pump nipple in the middle. I mean I could wrap the old ones around the new one but it would be gigantic and I'm not sure if that would work properly. I also am thinking I should seed the new filter in the old tank. The only thing I'd possibly have working for me is that I intend to add everything from the old tank to the new tank with some startup bacteria.

DannyPritchett01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use prime and tetra safestart when seeding a new tank. I buy the 250ml bottle at Petco and use 25ml per 10 gal of water. Shake the bottle well first. You want it to look cloudy out of the bottle. I then can immediately add my fish. I'd get a bigger fikter for a larger tank. I like the largest size even with smaller tanks.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are moving everything from the old tank to the new tank the new tank will be instantly cycled if the old one is cycled. You are basically just moving the cycle from one tank to another.

Try to keep everything wet and the bacteria living on it will not die off. Keep in mind you will only have enough bacteria to handle the bio-load of the 9 gallon tank so if you plan on adding more fish add them slowly to give the bacteria a chance to catch up with the heavier bio-load.

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DannyPritchett01 said:
I use prime and tetra safestart when seeding a new tank. I buy the 250ml bottle at Petco and use 25ml per 10 gal of water. Shake the bottle well first. You want it to look cloudy out of the bottle. I then can immediately add my fish. I'd get a bigger fikter for a larger tank. I like the largest size even with smaller tanks.
I like to use TLC Bacteria which has always worked well for me in the past for a quick cycle but I've never added fish the same day I've set the tank up. I suppose a betta could have withstood even a small cycle but the tank I took him out of had him looking rougher then he ever has so I didn't want to take chances.

The filter has been in the old tank for about a week and a half now so I'll likely set it up this weekend and plop him in. I also have carib-sea eco complete with bacteria in it too though I'm waiting to add that when I add the filter.

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
If you are moving everything from the old tank to the new tank the new tank will be instantly cycled if the old one is cycled. You are basically just moving the cycle from one tank to another.

Try to keep everything wet and the bacteria living on it will not die off. Keep in mind you will only have enough bacteria to handle the bio-load of the 9 gallon tank so if you plan on adding more fish add them slowly to give the bacteria a chance to catch up with the heavier bio-load.
Everything but the filter itself which I can't move because it's built in, same with what holds the media which are as big as a brick themselves. Also the sand because I'm going to use Eco-Complete. I think a big issue for the set up I had him in previously with the 9g was poor water circulation in the substrate and I set it up to where it wasn't very easy to vacuum. Slow and steady is going to win the race for this one, at least for the design.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If a single betta will live in the 20 gallon for awhile, it's not going to produce a ton of waste to suddenly spike the ammonia.

You could try setting up the 20 gallon with the air pump and sponge filter, then squeeze out the foams sponges from the Flex 9g in to the water of the 20 gallon.

That would help seed the 20 gallon quickly.

Afterwards, just monitor your parameters and perform water changes as needed.

It's not like you're doing a fish-in cycle with a bunch of large cichlids. It should be fine with the betta in a 20 gallon.

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Islandvic said:
If a single betta will live in the 20 gallon for awhile, it's not going to produce a ton of waste to suddenly spike the ammonia.

You could try setting up the 20 gallon with the air pump and sponge filter, then squeeze out the foams sponges from the Flex 9g in to the water of the 20 gallon.

That would help seed the 20 gallon quickly.

Afterwards, just monitor your parameters and perform water changes as needed.

It's not like you're doing a fish-in cycle with a bunch of large cichlids. It should be fine with the betta in a 20 gallon.
True, I hand't thought if the bioload on the tank itself only having the one betta. I'll be adding him this weekend during the rest of my water changes. The design is all that's left at this point which I'm hoping to have ready by the weekend in case the new substrate causes any cloudiness during set up, that way it'll have time to clear.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sinned4g63 said:
Everything but the filter itself which I can't move because it's built in, same with what holds the media which are as big as a brick themselves. Also the sand because I'm going to use Eco-Complete. I think a big issue for the set up I had him in previously with the 9g was poor water circulation in the substrate and I set it up to where it wasn't very easy to vacuum. Slow and steady is going to win the race for this one, at least for the design.
Gotcha Just moving some of the media from the cycled filter and what is on the deco of whatever else you will be moving should do a pretty good job of helping the big one cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom