55 Gallon Tank Seeding Question

CallMeKenny
Well I recently upgraded from a 29 gallon to a 55, about 5 days ago. I put the fish from my old tank and have been running the old filter for about 3 days. I have got perfect test readings on 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5 nitrate with a pH of 7.9. I am just wondering when I will be able to remove the old filter (I will keep the old filter media running in the new filter) and the gravel from the old tank without ruining the progress?

Jaysee
Yes, if you put the old media in the new filter you will be fine.

Landozer18
Yes, if you put the old media in the new filter you will be fine.
Jaysee

I second the answer

CallMeKenny
Thanks guys!

Jaysee
You bet Kenny. Come again

Aquarist
Good afternoon,

I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Aquarium Water/Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle section of the forum.

Thanks and best wishes for your tank and fish.

Ken

Redshark1
I've just seen this and would recommend doing this in stages a week apart.

As I understand it there are two steps, one to remove the old filter (but transfering the media to the new one) and two to remove the old gravel.

I would not remove both after only 5 days. Absolutely not.

I would also transfer the dirt from the old gravel to the new gravel as this contributes massively to the biological filtration.

Hope it goes well.

snyderju
You should be fine to just put the old media in the new filter and run it like that. Using older gravel can only help the process as well. Be sure you are adding fish though as the beneficial bacterial will die off without a source of food coming from waste.

Latest threads

Top Bottom