Seeding New Filter

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TK Titanium, Jul 1, 2016.

1. TK Titanium

TK TitaniumNew MemberMember

Hello,

As per some advice I received on this forum in my last question, I have purchased an AquaClear 50 for my 20 gallon tank. I've had it running in tandem with my old HOB filter for about a week and I'm curious as to how much longer it should run before it's safe to assume that the new filter has enough bacteria to allow me to remove the old Top Fin 20 filter and get things back to normal. If it helps, the tank is about two months old and has no live plants.

2. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

I would leave it at least a couple more weeks. Your tank is still fairly new so the bacteria is young and not strongly established. Can you transfer some of the media from the old filter into the new? Even cutting out a bit of floss if it has cartridges can help a lot.

3. OP
    OP
    TK Titanium

I have the remnants of a nylon sock I used to add some moss to lower the ph, I saved the rest of it just in case I would need it for something else. I could probably seal up the ends and use it to transfer the charcoal from the Top Fin to the Aquaclear. It would be nice to take the spine out of the old filter cartridge, roll up the bag with the charcoal and stuff the whole package in the charcoal spot of my new filter, but I can't think of a good way to seal it so I don't spread charcoal all over my tank. Maybe I have some nylon thread somewhere, perhaps cotton would work since it's temporary, I have a lot of cotton thread.

4. Aquaphobia

I wouldn't transfer the charcoal, I would use the floss that covers it.

5. OP
    OP
    TK Titanium

Gotcha, more living in the floss. Thank you.

6. Aquaphobia

The carbon is supposed to be changed out every month or so anyway since it becomes ineffective. You can throw it out or put it in the compost but either way, when you change a cartridge, just cut a slit in it and dump out the carbon. Save that floss!

7. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello TK...

If the media from the old filter can be moved to the AC 50, then do that. Then, you won't need the old one. The water flow from an AC 50 is going to make a very strong current for such a small tank. I would have saved the $15 to $20 and gone with an AC 30, and over filter the tank just a bit. But, I'm a water change fanatic and don't use much filtration on my tanks. I just change out a lot of water every week, so the filters are just filtering water that's already clean. Hopefully, your fish don't get tossed around too much.

Have fun!

Old

8. OP
    OP
    TK Titanium

The current was my main concern as well when they suggested going for the 50. I was afraid of making my fish ride around in a giant swirly all day. The good news is that that current isn't as strong as I had feared and, in fact, the Danios seem to be getting a kick out of it but the Tetras are spending more time hiding in quiet corners than they used to so I am definitely eager to get back to just one filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice