Seeding new 20g/cycling with current fish - Page 2

OP
M

Mrmarra77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GlennO said:
Correct it's not the nitrifying bacteria. Although fish-in it was a new tank with disrupted cycle?

Bacterial blooms

These are most common in new tanks. Established tanks rarely have them, except when the balance is disturbed [explained below]. Heterotrophs appear sooner and faster. They build many of the biofilms that all bacteria use to adhere to surfaces, and they reproduce much faster, around 15 to 60 minutes, compared to hours for the autotrophs. So if heterotrophs cause the bacterial bloom in a new tank, and yet there is very little if any obvious organic waste, how? Well, when water is dechlorinated, it can suddenly support bacteria, and the “organic waste” in the water itself feeds the heterotroph bacteria and it very rapidly reproduces and clouds the tank milky white. This will occur in fishless cycling with just ammonia. It is usually less likely, or will be minimal by comparison, with live plants because they assimilate nutrients from organics.

ok the new tank that is currently fish in cycling..i used filter media and substrate from old tank (seeding) but I understand regardless it still has to go through the nitrogen cycle.I wonder how much longer then?The haze and cloudiness looks like its slowly clearing.The ammonia went back to .5 yesterday..i haven't checked today yet.Thankyou very much for the clarification..you guys are awesome.

mattgirl said:
I shouldn't. Just add a 3/4 inch slice each time and take out what he hasn't eaten in 24 to 36 hours. If it is put in there raw it shouldn't foul the water at all. Be sure to remove the seeds before putting it in there. None of my plecos will eat the seeds.
hi goodmorning the pleco loves the zucchini..

Attachments

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Mrmarra77 said:
ok...which method is actually better for the plecos..the blanching by boiling and then cooling or just dropping a raw piece in the tank weighted down by something?
Plecos eat by rasping on things. If they can eat wood by rasping on it they will have no problem eating raw veggies. I feed it raw. I always have and my plecos have no trouble at all eating it. Others par-boil it. I don't think the plecos care one way or another. I par-boiled for my newborn pleco fry but as they grew they too get it raw. I find it is less likely to foul the water is it is fed raw.

I am happy to hear that your big guy went straight to his zucchini. I would give him a slice of it at least twice a week.

OP
M

Mrmarra77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Plecos eat by rasping on things. If they can eat wood by rasping on it they will have no problem eating raw veggies. I feed it raw. I always have and my plecos have no trouble at all eating it. Others par-boil it. I don't think the plecos care one way or another. I par-boiled for my newborn pleco fry but as they grew they too get it raw. I find it is less likely to foul the water is it is fed raw.

I am happy to hear that your big guy went straight to his zucchini. I would give him a slice of it at least twice a week.
thankyoy I was surprised when he found it he went right to it...and even as it was getting caught up in the bubble wall,he was still rasping on it..thanks again I feel like I learn so much everytime I talk with you

I froze the rest but next time I will try a raw one

till no rise in nitrates and ammonia still at .5.it has only been a week so far,sept.18 will make two weeks.Since I'm dosing with prime ,how much of a water change should I do?I know when changing the water the substrate is also being cleaned but would it disturb the cycling?What can expect to see with the ammonia after my water change?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mrmarra77 said:
still no rise in nitrates and ammonia still at .5.it has only been a week so far,sept.18 will make two weeks.Since I'm dosing with prime ,how much of a water change should I do?I know when changing the water the substrate is also being cleaned but would it disturb the cycling?What can expect to see with the ammonia after my water change?
Water changes will not be removing the bacteria we are growing in our tanks. The bacteria doesn't live in the water. It is growing on your filter media and on every surface in the tank.

As long as you add your water conditioner and temp match the water you are replacing a water change is not going to hurt the cycling process. The fact that you are using Prime has no baring on how much water you can change.

If you do a 50% water change it should cut the amount of ammonia in half so if it is reading .5 before the water change it should read .25 after doing it. You have fish in this tank. Fresh clean water is critical to their safety.

OP
M

Mrmarra77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Water changes will not be removing the bacteria we are growing in our tanks. The bacteria doesn't live in the water. It is growing on your filter media and on every surface in the tank.

As long as you add your water conditioner and temp match the water you are replacing a water change is not going to hurt the cycling process. The fact that you are using Prime has no baring on how much water you can change.

If you do a 50% water change it should cut the amount of ammonia in half so if it is reading .5 before the water change it should read .25 after doing it. You have fish in this tank. Fresh clean water is critical to their safety.
I'm preparing to do the water change as we speak...

Mrmarra77 said:
I'm preparing to do the water change as we speak...
went down to .25 well needed water change...water is not as cloudy

OP
M

Mrmarra77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mrmarra77 said:
went down to .25 well needed water change...water is not as cloudy
whats take on a good bacteria supplement and Can one be added during fish in cycle?Another question can i add more fish now or should I wait?

Mrmarra77 said:
whats take on a good bacteria supplement and Can one be added during fish in cycle?Another question can i add more fish now or should I wait?
hi good day

OP
M

Mrmarra77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Some folks have had good luck with Tetra Safe Start plus and yes it can be added while fish are in there. It is designed to be used while fish in cycling.

I wouldn't add any more fish until this cycle stabilizes.
ok i haven't been adding any additional bacteria except the seachem stability but that for only 7 days.So I was researching and I came across this as a recommended bacteia.i picked a 3.38 oz and it states it t

its still early only about a week and a half into the process,I wasn't too sure if adding some or not might help.I hope you're is great so far,thankyou

Attachments

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It seems a bit unusual not to be seeing any nitrates yet. Please refresh my memory. How many and what kind of fish are in this tank? Is it planted?

edited to add: Be sure to shake that TSS bottle really well. Once done turn your filter off and pour the whole bottle directly in the filter. Rinse the bottle out with tank water and pour that water in the filter too. Leave it off for at least 15 minutes.

Turn the filter back on and cross your fingers :D

OP
M

Mrmarra77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
It seems a bit unusual not to be seeing any nitrates yet. Please refresh my memory. How many and what kind of fish are in this tank? Is it planted?

edited to add: Be sure to shake that TSS bottle really well. Once done turn your filter off and pour the whole bottle directly in the filter. Rinse the bottle out with tank water and pour that water in the filter too. Leave it off for at least 15 minutes.

wow ..by doing this are we trying to further establish the beneficial bacteria
I have 4 fish(3 glofish,1 pleco)

another thing I read that the TSS should be added like 24hrs after adding any prime.They said that the prime locks any ammonia,nitrites and nitrates..and I dosed the tank already with prime.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mrmarra77 said:
wow ..by doing this are we trying to further establish the beneficial bacteria
Right. Unlike some of the others TSS is supposed to be the same bacteria we are growing in our tank so adding it should help out the bacteria you already have in there but apparently not quite enough at this point.
Mrmarra77 said:
I have 4 fish(3 glofish,1 pleco)
Ah yes, I remember now. The memory isn't what it once was :D I really would have ecpected to see the nitrates rising specially with the pleco's high bio-load. Not seeing them doesn't mean there is a problem. I would just expect you to be seeing some by now since you moved cycled media to this tank.

Hopefully the TSS will finish up this cycle and you should be able to add more fish before too much longer.
another thing I read that the TSS should be added like 24hrs after adding any prime.They said that the prime locks any ammonia,nitrites and nitrates..and I dosed the tank already with prime.
Good catch. You are right. Folks do say to wait for 24 hours after adding prime to add TSS. Wait until tomorrow to add the TSS.

OP
M

Mrmarra77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Right. Unlike some of the others TSS is supposed to be the same bacteria we are growing in our tank so adding it should help out the bacteria you already have in there but apparently not quite enough at this point.

Ah yes, I remember now. The memory isn't what it once was :D I really would have ecpected to see the nitrates rising specially with the pleco's high bio-load. Not seeing them doesn't mean there is a problem. I would just expect you to be seeing some by now since you moved cycled media to this tank.

Hopefully the TSS will finish up this cycle and you should be able to add more fish before too much longer.

Good catch. You are right. Folks do say to wait for 24 hours after adding prime to add TSS. Wait until tomorrow to add the TSS.
you said i have to turn the filter off and then add
you said shake the bottle like it says on it and then empty it into the filter while its off and leave the filter off for 15mins then turn it back on.Question: why can't I just shake and pour entire bottle into filter while still running..im just curious?

mattgirl said:

Yes i thought I would've too i really hope I'm do
mattgirl said:

How accurate are this master test kits and readings?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mrmarra77 said:
you said i have to turn the filter off and then add
you said shake the bottle like it says on it and then empty it into the filter while its off and leave the filter off for 15mins then turn it back on.Question: why can't I just shake and pour entire bottle into filter while still running..im just curious?
I recommend doing it this way since the majority of the bacteria lives on the filter media. I don't know it for a fact but I think it will work better by letting it sit on and soak into the media before being dispersed out into the tank will give it a better chance of working well. I could be way off base in this thinking but should I ever use it this is the way I would do it.
Mrmarra77 said:
Yes i thought I would've too i really hope I'm do
How accurate are this master test kits and readings?
If the test are done correctly I have to think they are as accurate as we need them to be for our purposes. I have to ask. Are you sure you are shaking bottle #2 for the nitrate test really well, shaking the test tube for a full minute and then giving it a full 5 minutes to get to the correct reading?

That one bottle is the only one that tends to separate and something in it settles to the bottom of the bottle. When I use mine I actually bang it against the palm of my hand as I am shaking it to make sure whatever has settled breaks loose and mixes well. If it isn't mixed really well you won't get an accurate reading.

I also have to think if that bottle has been used a few times without shaking it reallly well will change its properties and it won't ever test correctly.

OP
M

Mrmarra77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I recommend doing it this way since the majority of the bacteria lives on the filter media. I don't know it for a fact but I think it will work better by letting it sit on and soak into the media before being dispersed out into the tank will give it a better chance of working well. I could be way off base in this thinking but should I ever use it this is the way I would do it.

If the test are done correctly I have to think they are as accurate as we need them to be for our purposes. I have to ask. Are you sure you are shaking bottle #2 for the nitrate test really well, shaking the test tube for a full minute and then giving it a full 5 minutes to get to the correct reading?

That one bottle is the only one that tends to separate and something in it settles to the bottom of the bottle. When I use mine I actually bang it against the palm of my hand as I am shaking it to make sure whatever has settled breaks loose and mixes well. If it isn't mixed really well you won't get an accurate reading.

I also have to think if that bottle has been used a few times without shaking it reallly well will change its properties and it won't ever test correctly.
[/QUOTE yea bottle 2 i shake the full 30 seconds,and then the tube for 1 minute then wait 5 minutes to read.But you know next time as i shake bottle 2 ill bang against my palm to loosen up.Ill also try that technique with the TSS and the filter tomorrow.

New Threads