Seeding Dry Rock with Live Rock

Slapp

Hello.
I’m planning a low-low tech Xenia-only tank.
I’m trying to keep it low budget, so using dry-rock would be a definite boost. However I love the little critters that come with real live rock. Therefore, I was wondering if I used some dry rock and got a little chunk of very live rock and let it stew for a few months if it would spring to life.
Thank you,
Slapp

Mike

Hi Slapp - as long as you have the patience for it then that is a totally acceptable way to do it. And it will work provided that the tank parameters stay within normal acceptable ranges.

Slapp

Mike said:
Hi Slapp - as long as you have the patience for it then that is a totally acceptable way to do it. And it will work provided that the tank parameters stay within normal acceptable ranges.
Oh wonderful, that’s the way I’ll do it then. Thanks

Jesterrace

Slapp said:
Oh wonderful, that’s the way I’ll do it then. Thanks
A lot of people do it that way, but you do run the risk of also having potential pests spread throughout your rockwork that way. Of course, if you have had regular live rock before you have probably already dealt with that.

Slapp

Jesterrace said:
A lot of people do it that way, but you do run the risk of also having potential pests spread throughout your rockwork that way. Of course, if you have had regular live rock before you have probably already dealt with that.
Ngl. I kinda want the pests. I’m trying to make a very experimental tank. don’t really want any stocking besides some very dirty corals and something simple with low bioload like feather dusters. I really do find any little creature quite interesting. In fact I considered making this tank just Aipstasia cause I like how they look, but I want other things and I fear the anemones would be too aggressive. So whatever little creatures appear, I’ll welcome them no matter how unsightly.

I live for that stuff. Especially in FW. I’ve got tanks dedicated to “pests”, like bladder snails, or scuds. I’ve got a tank that is just the spawn of filter mulm and puddle water.

I’ve wanted to make a marine tank of this type for awhile, not for the draw of the corals, but a whole new variety of little critters.

If you’ve got a nice source for info on my future guests I’d love it. Any comprehensive source of these pests. No stress if you don’t have one off the top of your head.

thanks,
Slapp

Jesterrace

Regular live rock these days generally has some form of pest on it more often than not. In the ocean it's no big deal but they are considered invasive in aquariums. Aiptasia (spreads rapidly and can kill corals), Vermatid Snails (same as aforementioned), Mojano Anemones are also common. Are you planning on keeping any fish in the tank?

Slapp

Jesterrace said:
Regular live rock these days generally has some form of pest on it more often than not. In the ocean it's no big deal but they are considered invasive in aquariums. Aiptasia (spreads rapidly and can kill corals), Vermatid Snails (same as aforementioned), Mojano Anemones are also common. Are you planning on keeping any fish in the tank?
No I’m not planning on keeping anything other than a few hermits.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom