Seeding Aquarium.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Vern, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Vern

VernNew MemberMember

I recently added another aquarium to my collection and seeded it with bacteria by putting a used filter in with the new HOB filter (pre filtration if that matters). I just want to know for certain that it is normal to only have minute nitrate readings, no ammonia or nitrite. Does this mean the seeding actually worked?
    There are currently 10 neon tetras, 2 juvenile angles and a live 'Bleherae' plant in a 20G tall hex.
    I'd be astonished if my first attemptat seeding was so successful, my luck typically isn't that good.

Cheers,
    Vern

2. TheMadScientist

TheMadScientistValued MemberMember

Every tank I have seeded I use old gravel from tank and I just use the whole old filter media and have had great success.
    Every tank I have setup stays nearly zeroed out. My well water stays at 20 on the nitrates though so I can't get mine any lower

3. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

This is how it should always work when using mature seeded material to cycle a tank. If the bacteria on the media is being given the same amount (or just a little bit more) of food it needs to process (fish waste) there is no reason for it to not work.

That bacteria will think it has had a big water change but it will happily do its job as long as it keeps getting the proper amount of food.

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Hopefully it works!

I would take out 5e angels though as they would need a larger tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Vern

VernNew MemberMember

This is what I like to hear, thank you for your responses everyone.

I would have used gravel as well, however I'm going for a more natural look and my other aquariums have gravel that looks very much artificial.

The way I paired up the filters was in hopes bacteria would rub onto the new filter cartridge which is of a different type and brand. Evidently it seems to have worked.

Again, thanks for your responses.
    Cheers!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice