Seeding a sponge filter?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Merri68, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Merri68Valued MemberMember

When seeding a new sponge filter, should the sponge be rinsed out and squeezed once a week? Or left to "stew" for a bit longer... Say two weeks ?

2. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

It won't matter if you squeeze it out or not. Is it in a HOB or canister?

3. Merri68Valued MemberMember

Neither. I am changing over to old fashioned sponge filtration. I also have a HOT filter for the tank,which comes with a relatively small sponge in front of the filter cartridge... and may continue to use it as well. As long as I have a bubble stone going, I might as well get some double duty done, so I have gotten an ATI hydro sponge IVto 'cover' the stone.

I don't mind that sponge filters look "yukky". As I have explained in another thread, I have some physical limitations, and so am seeking as few water changes as possible because for me, the less "owies" the better. So I'm going for efficiency over aesthetics.

And I want happy fish Can't forget the tenants' satisfaction with my set-up.

4. jay275475Valued MemberMember

You realize with filters these days you can grow bacteria that eat nitrates causing you to change water less frequently ?????????

5. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

6. Merri68Valued MemberMember

Thanks for the info. Yup I will seed them for at least 4 weeks before setting them 'on their own'.

7. junebugFishlore LegendMember

The amount of nitrate consumed by the anaerobes in the (extremely complex and advanced) filters that allow for their growth is minimal.

Besides, nitrate isn't even the main reason for water changes in aquaria. Fish waste, as it dissolves, raises the amount of dissolved solids in your water, and can even begin to alter your pH. Regular water changes ensure that fish's osmotic function remains intact and that the pH, gH and kH remain stable.

8. jay275475Valued MemberMember

I didn't mean it that way :/ I meant you could worry less a little bit :p obviously you'd still need to do water changes...

Edit: ^^ Its not complex... There are media out there that are designed to grow that type of bacterial like seachem matrix

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice