Seeding A New Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My son is desperate for a new tank and it is only a matter of time before I cave (I can't really say no...I have 3 tanks myself lol). He likes the look of the Fluval Edge 23l tanks and we are likely going to use the filter that comes with the tank - I have the 46l version of the tank and have had no problems with mine.

We haven't got the tank yet and won't for a couple of weeks, but I was wondering if I can use my filters to jump start his cycle. The only problem is that my filter is currently pretty jam packed and I won't be able to fit any extra media in there without taking something out. I don't want to disrupt my cycle to start his, so if I take media out of the filter and keep it in the main body of the tank, will that be ok to keep the BB alive while the "new" media is seeded? Or does it need to have a flow of water over it constantly?

If not then I'll likely cut my sponge in half and give him that and use Tetra Safe Start Plus or something as well.

Any suggestions/advice welcome

Thebandedman

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is your tank still cycling. Do you only have sponge filters? Are they in established tanks? To boost his cycle you could take some of your media and ring it out into his filter or tank. This will seed some of your bacteria into the new filter/tank. Not sure how much faster it makes the process but this is what I do when I get a new tank and it definitely gets the ball rolling.

I like to think fish keeping is a patient hobby. Sometimes best to teach patience and let the tank cycle in a few weeks over using a bunch of chemical. (Personal opinion)

OP
Sprogladite

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes my tank is well established, been going for about 3 years now (should have mentioned that lol). That tank is running sponge, ceramic rings and purigen in the (HOB) filter.

We don't have the new tank/filter yet and the shape of the top of the fluval tanks means it would be difficult to buy another filter to stick in there to seed, which is why I'm after ways of doing it so I can just transfer some media over

Thebandedman

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well if your in a huge rush you could always use something like bio-magnet to get it ready for fish. Otherwise just ring out some of that dirty media from your filter into his when it arrives and that will get the process moving. About all I know hopefully someone else chimes in if there's a better way.
Good luck.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can add some of your rings to his, and replace some new ones in yours
Also yes, you can cut some sponge off.
I've added floss into my filters and then used that to seed the new ones... nothing like a dirty piece of floss... usually easy to position it in the filter, even if it's jam packed

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Removing the sponge and putting it in your sons tank is the best bet for sure. I do this all the time. Your tank will recover quickly, you may not even notice the mini cycle unless you test parameters daily. This will drastically speed up your sons cycle and allow for immediate fish placement. Obviously, dont fully stock the tank at first. However, my preference is always to split the rings. Giving your son a portion of your rings will be even better for him. And as long as you keep at least half, your tank will be just fine. However, dont give him your sponge and half of your rings. Do one or the other, not both.

OP
Sprogladite

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Removing the sponge and putting it in your sons tank is the best bet for sure. I do this all the time. Your tank will recover quickly, you may not even notice the mini cycle unless you test parameters daily. This will drastically speed up your sons cycle and allow for immediate fish placement. Obviously, dont fully stock the tank at first. However, my preference is always to split the rings. Giving your son a portion of your rings will be even better for him. And as long as you keep at least half, your tank will be just fine. However, dont give him your sponge and half of your rings. Do one or the other, not both.
Thank you, makes sense! Now all I need to do is find somewhere to put another tank...lol

NJblueRam

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is the reason I always run 2 filters in 90% of my tanks. It could be a HOB and sponge, 2 HOB and or canister and HOB. I'm always ready to pull a filter for a new tank setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 76 66.7%

Top Bottom